+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly propellers, what size to use

Blog Entries

I happen to think a propeller on a fly, is still a fly. I like propellers on flies. I believe Tom Nixon used to hear a lot of stuff similar to what has been said here. Funny his book is a collector's item now. I admire his work a lot. Remember a long time ago people used flies that were much closer to a lure than a fly. Ray Bergman would use such lures/flies. When things got tough he pulled out the baitcaster, or he used live bait. I love to catch a fish, so I will use whatever method I think will give me a better chance of landing a fish. Most of the time I prefer to fly fish. But sometimes I just love using my spinning gear, or baitcaster. Once in a blue moon I actually buy minnows and use them. I'm with Ray, whatever works is what I will try to use. Some days flies tear 'em up, some days conventional gear is better. Usually fly fishing to me is better...so have fun with a propeller, and no guilt.

And what is the other name for Pistol Petes? Seems like it is some guy in Colorado.

I once tied propeller flies for a fly swap here.
    I only had one or two for my self and I have lost them all I think.

I recall that the problem I had with them was they twisted the leader a lot.
    Maybe there is a solution for that?

Thorarinn

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    And what is the other name for Pistol Petes? Seems like it is some guy in Colorado.
    http://www.pistolpeteflies.com/

click on "hi country flies" at the top of the page for the history

I stumbled onto this with Google, from a John Geirach book: Favorite Trout Patterns and How They Got That Way: "The first rabbit-strip pattern I ever saw was a fly tied by Sandy Pittendrigh called a Roadkill Streamer. It had a strip of natural, brownish gray rabbit lashed to an otherwise bare hook with a silver propeller and a couple of brass beads at the head."

RE> "what size?" ..........experiment experiment experiment.

Roadkill Streamer <=== From Rod and Reel, 1985 or so

This one doesn't have the propeller. But they're easy to slip on.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 11-28-2010 at 01:44 PM.

IMHO, a propeller just makes a baitfish imitation more imitative. Wounded baitfish twirl around like crazy. Live baitfish make disturbances in the water.

HOW IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT THAN ADDING HOLO-FLASH, METAL EYES, ETC.

Wow, there are some really altitude-enhanced equines around here.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I'm having a real tough time on the Wood River in RI. This weekend, the only solid hit I got was on a bugger with some split shot to get it down (heavy flow and lots of tannin). The first thing that percolated through my grey matter was a propeller and Bergman... Then I find this thread and Tom Dixon is mentioned. I plan to tie some .56ers WITH a propeller and do some "angling" (maybe that will quell those that think "propellers are for planes"). Imagine if folks said hares are for cooking...
    W/r.
    bluwatr
    Last edited by bluwatr; 08-14-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: change name

I don't know how they're different from Pistol Petes, but the Colorado version is the Montera Marvel.

Pete Parker headed up the fly tying video theater at the ISE shows for 20+ years before he passed away a couple of years ago. He tied a slider saltwater popper-fly that used a propeller. He always said it created an 'acoustic footprint'- then he'd snicker. I'm wondering if the Pistol Petes are named after Pete Parker. Just a question, not a statement.

I got past propellers a long time ago. My flies run super-chargers with nitro methane- my 'top fuel flies'. They also come in parachute versions to slow them down.

FYI, New Hampshire specifically forbids flies tied with spinners (propellers) in FFO areas. I believe Maine does as well.

+ Reply to Thread