+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musty magazines

Default Musty magazines

I was recently given a box of old FF/FT magazines. They have a musty smell about them like they were in a basement or garage for a length of time.. Any good ideas on what to do to get rid of the smell? They are not nor were they wet at any time...Otherwise in excellent shape...Thanks...Bob

That is one of my biggest problems. I love old books and magazines but can't deal with the musty smell. One thing that you might try is to put the magazines in a paper bag and put a small amount of baking soda in there (like in a bottle cap or small paper cup). Roll up the bag to seal it and leave it alone for a couple of weeks. I have had some success with this, your mileage may vary. I'd be interested in hearing any other ideas too.

Your post prompted me to do a Google search on this subject. Here's a few links to pursue: [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22old+books%22+%22baking+soda%22+m usty&btnG=Google+Search:466ed]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22old+books%22+%22baking+soda%22+m usty&bt nG=Google+Search[/url:466ed]

[This message has been edited by gadabout (edited 30 March 2006).]

Bob,
    I would try just laying them out in the sun for awhile.

mantis,

I'd put them outside in a dry airy place but not in the sun because I think the sun would bleach whatever is is exposed.

Allan

Hey, thanks for the quick replies! I will try both...Thanks again...Bob

mantis,

I would highly recommend that you be careful with these magazines if there is any mold or mildew present. They do not have to have been wet to have mold spores present. I would recommend that you handle them with disposable gloves until you make sure that there is no mold spores present. Just a precaution for your health. Our campus library just went through this a couple years ago and they had to have an outside contractor come in to clean all the books that were affected. They used a germicidal/mold cleaner and wiped down each book. I only tell you this out of concern for your health.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for the tip. They look fine but I will do as you suggest and make a closer examination with some of my wife's disposable latex gloves..

Contact your local library and ask them how to take care of the problem with your magazines. It sounds to me like they've been damp, from normal humidity, and what you're actually smelling is mildew and/or mold.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Try using sheets of bounce fabric softener. Works for lots of things like dusting, etc.

+ Reply to Thread