+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sage announces the One

Blog Entries

My preference in elitist fly fishers leans towards those who own all the "best" rods (translation: "most expensive") and move to custom to beat their buddies.

The little yellow Eagle Claw FeatherLite is a nice casting little rod. $25 at Wally World.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Silver Creek,

Brilliantly stated. Thank you.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
    So essentially you are stating that sage caters to the rich and famous primarily for the prestiege of owning one.
    No, I'm saying there are many who really can't afford this rod but will purchase it thinking somehow
    they will miraculously catch more fish because of the rod they are fishing, whereas a nice $200.00 rod
    in the hand of a proficient fisherman will do the job just as well.

Again, if you can afford "the one" and it makes you feel good owning it, then go for it.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Why is it everytime a manufacturer comes out with a new rod many of you dump on it?
    I don't think anyone is "dumping" on the new rod. Most people won't or can't purchase a rod for $500+ everytime a company comes up with a "new and improved" product.

If you can afford to drive the Ferrari then by all means, do so. Some have to stick to the Cadillac, others the Chevrolet. Still some, drive to their fishing stream with their ebay bought low end combo in their rusted out clunker pick-up truch.

Guess what though ... they catch fish and have fun doing so, just as you will with your Sage.

I have 11 fly rods and as many reels. However, if you purchased 4 of these "new" rods alone you'd exceed the MSRP of all I own.

I want a rod/reel/backing/line/couple of flies and a half day guided trip for $500.00.

Just my 2?
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    No, I'm saying there are many who really can't afford this rod but will purchase it thinking somehow
    they will miraculously catch more fish because of the rod they are fishing, whereas a nice $200.00 rod
    in the hand of a proficient fisherman will do the job just as well.

Again, if you can afford "the one" and it makes you feel good owning it, then go for it.
    The same thing goes on in the golf world, and people keep buying clubs that look like a hub cap on a stick. The golf ball is still the same size and the hole diameter is still the same. The evolution of this type of equipment is produced with only one thing in mind, and that is for people to purchase equipment to fix their faults instead of taking lessons or working the kinks out themselfs. It is easier to buy new tech. instead of taking time to work on their game.

Because I still, at 68, work "half a day, every day" ( lest THAT be mis-understood, that's 6AM to 6PM) , I CAN afford those high end fishin poles. However, I can't see or justify( FOR MYSELF ONLY) , the "value" as to their utility. They can do NO more or better, anything my TFO can do. I am practical when it comes to fishin and golf . It's always been the "indian ( Native American) rather than the arrows" philosophy when it comes to my recreational tools. My WORK tools, on the other hand, are the best I can buy. In work tools the quality/utility is more obvious and less subject to opinion and it's easier to prove "value".
    All the above is MY personal opinion and not meant as a sermon to those of unlike mind.
    Mark

PS: And also, after reading the above post by Idice, I did buy one of those "hubcaps", a DEMO model for $125 and it DID improve my drive by a bunch. But having said that, my "DEMO" new, cost about $375, and NO WAY would I have jumped on it in that case. The technology of the larger driver is obious. Larger head=easier to make contact. BUT, a Wilson Staff #6 iron ain't no worse than #6 by Callaway ( at 6 times the cost)
    Last edited by Marco; 07-24-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by Goduster View Post
    So essentially you are stating that sage caters to the rich and famous primarily for the prestiege of owning one.
    Those are your words and not mine.

What I am saying is that people buy the best tools they can afford; and those tools, regardless of cost, have benefited from previous technology paid for by first adopters of that technology.

How do we price objects in the real world?

I will submit we price objects by how many hours we have to work to afford to buy that object. If you are the average auto worker making $28.00/hr, a $700.00 fly rod is 25 hours of gross pay. If you a sales associate at Walmart at $8.81/hour that same rod is 80 hours or 2 weeks pay before taxes. If you are a pharmacist at that same store averaging $57/hr, that rod is 12 hours of gross pay.

Walmart Pay Scale

So that rod that cost the Walmart sales associate 2 weeks of pay is 1.5 days for a Walmart pharmacist.

What I am saying is that value to any given customer is relative. To the sales associate the Sage is overpriced, to the pharmacist, it is not. Not for a sport that is his/her passion. For the auto worker, it is also affordable if he/she saves for it.

Do folks buy a Sage for prestige? Actually "prestige" depends more on other people's views than the owner's.

Definition of Prestige

1. : standing or estimation in the eyes of people : weight or credit in general opinion
    2. : commanding position in people's minds

If you think a Sage confers "prestige" that is a self-referring statement. It actually says as much or more about the person that thinks it is prestige than the person who owns a Sage.

My view is that I don't know why that person has a Sage. To think that I do, confers an ability to myself that frankly, I don't think I or anyone has unless that person has told them directly.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think the point is that they are over priced. To stay in business companies must discontinue models and come out with new ones (bigger and better or lighter and more sensitive) to generate more income. The amount of money a person makes is not the point. I don't believe an $800 rod will help you catch any more fish than a $100 rod--it depends on the talent of the person using it. But, if someone wants to buy one that's their business.

I agree with Lastchance, That's the way things go.

How bout that 2010 model 8ft EagleClaw glass rod ! That got raves from the dedicated glass junkies.

Is that why my 2, like new, Howald 1950s era Wonderrods will remain in the closet.
    ?

+ Reply to Thread