+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what ink do I use?

Default what ink do I use?

I'm building a boo rod and would like to write the specs, date, etc., onto the rod. What ink do I use that won't run or smear? Probably not water based inks. I plan to varnish (oil base) over the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    I'm building a boo rod and would like to write the specs, date, etc., onto the rod. What ink do I use that won't run or smear? Probably not water based inks. I plan to varnish (oil base) over the writing.
    I use a Micron archival pen size .05. They can be found at any craft/office supply store. I write over lightly scuffed (4x steelwool) varnished, sign, let dry (overnight or hairdryer), then revarnish.

Quote Originally Posted by albaugh_cane_rods View Post
    I use a Micron archival pen size .05. They can be found at any craft/office supply store. I write over lightly scuffed (4x steelwool) varnished, sign, let dry (overnight or hairdryer), then revarnish.
    I use the same pen, except I think in a size .03. Works great. Very predictable ink delivery with no blobs.

Ted

I have used both of those paint pens with good results. I also found some VERY small paint brushes in the air brush/model building area. I used some pre-mixed air brush paint with one of these applicators with great luck.

For ink to write on my graphite rods, I use Testors Model paints that they make for painting plastic models. I use the silver or gold but I think any color would work and they have many colors. You may have to thin it a bit but the siler and gold are fine from the bottle as ink.

Dr Bob

Fritz, If anyone suggests using gel pens tell them NO THANKS. They were suggested to me and I tried them. Not a desirable product. My .02 cents worth. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I use Speedball Acrylic Ink with a fine nib pen. It is water soluble so you can clean up with water (which is great for bamboo) but once it dries, you can varnish over it.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread