+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle fishing in mid August

Default Seattle fishing in mid August

I'll be in Seattle from 8/14 - 8/19. Is there anytrhing running at that time and is it worth taking the rod?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Riz

rizeye:

This might be helpful:http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/

Dr Bob

Your visit is right inline with the start of the pink salmon run. I believe there is an estimated 6 million pinks to return to Salish Sea rivers. A six weight rod will work just fine as these fish average about 4 to 7 pounds. Do a search on fly fishing for pink salmon. Also you might try searching washingtonflyfishing.com and/or asking a question or two on the board there.

If you can get up north to the Skagit I may be able to provide a day on the river. The Skagit is about 60, 70 miles north of downtown Seattle or a little over an hour drive on I5.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Thanks for the info guys.

Kerry - I might be able to take you up on that offer. I have never fished for pinks and some guidance would be most welcome. I have a packable 7wt, would that work? what kind of line?

Your 7 weight will work. A floating line with poly or sinking tippet should work and if you have any sink tip lines they would come in handy also. If not I have a 8 weight with a shooting head setup that you could use. I am not all that good at catching pink salmon with a fly rod. I have done it but I never really went after the pink salmon. So we may well learn together. There are so many pink salmon in the river that they cause what is known as humpy fever. People who ususally don't fish come from all over just to fish for pinks. Can be cause for some real entertainment just watching all the fishermen.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by rizeye View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

Kerry - I might be able to take you up on that offer. I have never fished for pinks and some guidance would be most welcome. I have a packable 7wt, would that work? what kind of line?
    If you can, by all means, take Kerry up on his offer. A few years ago he made a similar offer to me and I had a GREAT time. It will be worth a little effort on your part to try to make that happen.

Fish were caught. Pictures to follow.

I want to say thanks to kerry for a great fishing trip. and yes we did catch some nice fish. kerry took all the pics so if they do not accuractely represent the fish caught, it's his fault. lol

all kidding aside. kerry help me add two fish species to my list, coastal cutthroat and humpies. anyone who has a chance to fish there on the skagit should make the effort.

First cutt

Second cutt

One for me

First humpy

A primer on how to release a salmon

Fighting the second salmon

Not just a coastal cutthroat, but the semi-anadromous (or amphidromous) form of the coastal cutthroat. In the the range of the coastal cutthroat (from California's Eel River to Alaska's Kenai Peninsula), wherever access to salt water is readily available some will adopt this lifestyle, spending several months of each year feeding there. Puget Sound and the Strait of Georgia offer some of the best habitat available to them. beautiful, wild (there have been no successful attempts at raising them in hatcheries) and aggressive, they are ideal fish for the fly angler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread