+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing furled leader makers

Default Missing furled leader makers

Hi,

Just for fun, I've been keeping a map marked with a dot for every furled leader maker I've found. I began when I met Jim Cramer in Montana, and realized that it wasn't just an eastern thing (my mentors were from Maryland, Rhode Island, and Maine). Of course, there was Darrell Martin. Then the British (starting with the references in The Complete Angler). There was a rancher in Idaho who had converted his cast iron rope maker with tiny extensions.

Now, I look at the map, and find only four states missing furlers: Nevada, North Dakota, New Mexico, and Georgia. Anybody know somebody who's is "twisted" -grin - in those four states?

Times sure have changed from ten years ago!

Kat

Kathy, hoping your DVD gets here today. We have been making them for about a month, but I can't wait for the DVD to see how to do it right! Question, do you use those little rings?

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Hi,

Well - grin - I don't know if I make them the "right" way, but the dvd should be there any minute in any case

Nope, I don't use the little rings. For the fishing I do (trout in small clear streams) I've always been concerned that they'd be a distraction, and I like my little Shorb loops. Some people really like them though, so I'd give it a try if they sound good to you, and see what you think.

Kat

After receiving a couple of furled leaders from a new FAOL friend, I plan to start making my own in the next couple of weeks so. After that, you can cross Georgia off your list or add it to your list as the case my be.

Jim Smith

JS, you will love it. It is so much fun experimenting with different material and thread counts. My ol' man got interested first and I watched him, now I am the one making them, but then mathmatics have always interested me.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I just recieved a care package from Lee S. today. He is in Petaluma. CA.

He send me a variety of Furled Leadrers to try. Thanks Lee!

Rich

Three to go

Kat

Kathy,

In case you didn't know I live in San Jose CA.

Regards,
    Jim

Hi,

Jim - Your dot is right there in California... our paths crossed elsewhere, but I knew

BTW, on the Furled Leader Forum, and on my map, there are furlers from Denmark, the Netherlands, Italy, Romania, many other places. Neat.

Kat

Hi Kat;
    Less than 6 weeks 'til opening day!!
    I received a sample of Fish-N-Nick's furled leaders (per his dad recommendation) and he does a great job. So, you've lost a customer as I ordered 3 more plus paid for the sample. I also sent him some extra Uni 6/0 & 8/0 thread's I had. 12 year old's can do most anything!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

+ Reply to Thread