+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backing?

Default Backing?

Hi guys, it is time to spool my new reel for a salt fly trip to Aitutaki. I have some gelspun braid in 30lb and 50lb breaking strain, Should I use this for backing or will it be hard to handle once a fish is down to the backing? If not braid what are you using as backing?
    Thanks.
    All the best.
    Mike

Hi Mike, hope you have a wonderful trip - and write about it when you get back! That said, my late husband JC was not fond of the gelspun as backing. He said it "cut" into itself and was difficult to manage so we didn't use it. We used a yellow micron backing made and sold by Cortland, it does come in 30 and 50 lb. and it is dependable and cheap.

I use both gel spun braids and dacron for backing. Most of my bluewater gear is rigged with gel spun because the thinner diameter and slicker line produces less line drag than dacron backing so I am less likely to break of fish sole due to the pressure of the line being dragged through the water. If using gelspun I would use at least 50lb. You are less likely to run into problems with the thicker braid and you still will get more backing on the reel than if using 20lb dacron. Make sure you wind it on fairly tight and criss cross back and forth on the spool every few wraps. If you do this you wont have any problems. If its too loose it can dig in. If you can spool it with a machine that is ideal. I usually spool it on to one of my conventional saltwater reels first then reel it onto the fly reel from the conventional reel with a very light drag setting. I have never had a problem.

I live in the tropics and am lucky enough to fish more that most people have ever dreamed of. I have found that salt, sand and gelspun do not mix for me. You have to be careful, very careful with gelspun when your fish makes a run, and they often make unexpected runs. It can cut deep into your fingers if you are not careful and, if that happens, your fishing adventure becomes less enjoyable. Finger cuts mixed with sand can be miserable. I use Cortland or Scientific Anglers 30# backing and never have any problems. I actually like the Cortland better but, living where I live, it is not always available. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I'm not fond of gel spun backing for the reasons cited. If you are going to use it, use the 50# since the larger diameter will be easier to handle. My preference, even in salt, is traditional dacron backing. The only reason I can see to use gel spun is if your reel has inadequate backing capacity.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread