+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beginner

Default Beginner

Hey all, I am new to fly fishing. Do not even have a pole yet. I want to be able to fish mainly in freshwater but at times also in saltwater. For a beginner, what are my options as far as using one rod and reel for fresh and saltwater.

Are there big differences in graphite, aluminum or metal reels? Thanks for any help.

The basic difference between salt water and fresh water fishing is the maintainance required to keep gear healthy. Salt and corrosion (sp) are one of your biggest enemies.
    I DO use graphite seats for my salt water rods, which is most of them now. We even double wrapped a 3wt (and a couple others) for SW use. I don't think constant washing can be over-emphasized with salt water use.
    Sand is another concideration, especially when thinking about reels.
    .....lee s.

Welcome to the sport! The question can best be answered by asking the same questions that my ex-wife use to ask: "Why do you have to have so many _____ fly rods and reels!?" Different applications my man. First we need to know what kind of salt and fresh water fish that you are thinking of. I honestly don't think that there is any one best weight rod for both as it would be like using a deep sea rig for Crappie.

Give some more info, a little at a time because there can be a lot to one simple question, and we'll try to stear you in the rigth direction.

------------------
    Best Regards

[This message has been edited by BenC (edited 09 March 2005).]

Thanks for getting back soon quick. I will probably want to fly fish for bass in freshwater. Never really fished in freshwater much. I just recently moved inland. I hear their is some freshwater striped bass here.

I would be fishing saltwater less frequently. Probably, for small blue and spanish mackeral.

Blog Entries

A 7wt might do the trick but, like the man said above fresh and salt are two different animals. Think of what you'll fish the most for and go that route first. A good combo rod for trout through bass IMO is a 7wt.

It could serve as a light salt rod also.
    Personally, like the rest of the folks I own many rods for different applications.
    you also asked about a reel: there are a lot of resonable reels out there that can be used in both fresh and salt. One that comes to mind is the Scientific Anglers System 2 L bought of course to match the weight of your rod.

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 09 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread