+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key West advice

Default Key West advice

Hi all,

I will be in Key West the first week in August and would like to get some fishing time in. This will be a honeymoon (after waiting 20 years) so my time and funds for fishing will be limited, but she is pushing me to get my stuff together so I can wet a line. I have tied up a bunch of flies (gotchas, crazy charlies, clousers, crabs, shrimp etc.) and am getting my 8wt rod back together. Does anyone out there have any advice for self-guided fishing opportunities (There are no funds for hiring a guide)? I'd love to wade the flats and catch some bones, but I'm not picky and will gladly tangle with anything that will take a fly. We will have access to a car so I can head back to the middle keys where I hear the access is a bit better than Key West.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Peter

I was down there two winters ago, when they were experiencing record cold temperatures. The folks, especially Ken, at The Angling Company, located at 333 Simonton Street was very helpful.

Your plan to drive back I think is a good one. While I didn't fish them, there were some state parks just north of Key West that has good access. Seems to me that I read somewhere these are good places for the "self guided" fly fisher to check out.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If you want to do in yourself, the best place to go would be Bahia Honda State Park, which is about 25 miles from Key West. It is an easy drive and you will see part of the Keys. It is right at Big Pine Key, so you can drive back and look for Key Deer. The added advantage is it actually has beaches and is a good snorkleing location. Fish the flats on the south part of the beach on the Atlantic side. Possible species are baracuda, bonefish and jacks, with the occasional shark.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/bah...tivities.cfm#2
    Last edited by dunfly; 07-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Excellent information - have a grand time!

+ Reply to Thread