+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ExxonMobil Spills about 42,000 Gallons of Crude Oil in Yellowstone River

Blog Entries

I know!!! Why don't we all just go back to a pre-industrial society that doesn't need chemicals, oil, etc.

File this one under: Stuff Happens....then punish the hell out of the offenders, make them pay severely so it doesn't happen again!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I'm told the eastern papers have really blown this out of sight. It is a small spill, we are at peak of flood conditions...meaning lots of very dirty water really moving fast. The Yellowstone flows into the Missouri River and that flows into the Mississippi....it doesn't flow toward Yellowstone Park at all, that is very upstream and out of reach. It also doesn't affect Paradise Valley where the spring creek are at all. Trav and were down walking the Yellowstone in the valley this morning and the river has started to go down...we also saw the 1st salmon fly! (A good sign.) It is getting better!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by juniatajim View Post
    Joe's fears are not unfounded or did you forget about Prince William Sound and the Exxon Valdeze?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill

While the EPA may not be at fault here other parts of the government and courts are. Exxon passed the cost on to the insurance companies as well as you and I.

Back to the case at hand. 1,000+ barrels of crude oil is very damaging to the environment no matter how high the flow rate of the river! Crude oil is not a finished product or distillate therefore it does not dilute near as easily nor does it evaporate as rapidly. Take a look at this report:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/03...est=latestnews

Even if the damage is limited to the Billings area the environmental and economical impact will not be good. As far as what Company, state or federal types say I personally don't trust them any further than I could pick them up and throw them.
    As a suggestion, never read a Wiki article if you know anything about the subject... Just skimmed the Exxon Valdez article and had a huge number of belly laughs... Particularly the summary paragraph is incredibly naive and clearly written by someone clueless.

Wiki does not claim to be the Gospel Truth you know. It is a compilation of many different sources. If you see something there that you feel is in error then instead of just getting a good laugh out of it why don't you perform a little civic duty and inform them of the error. Of course they probably won't just take your word for it. don't get offended if they ask you to prove with solid evidence what you believe to be the truth of the matter. Take it or leave it but Wikipedia does do a good job of presenting facts in their writings. They are not perfect but then neither are you or me.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I'm told the eastern papers have really blown this out of sight. It is a small spill, we are at peak of flood conditions...meaning lots of very dirty water really moving fast. The Yellowstone flows into the Missouri River and that flows into the Mississippi....it doesn't flow toward Yellowstone Park at all, that is very upstream and out of reach. It also doesn't affect Paradise Valley where the spring creek are at all. Trav and were down walking the Yellowstone in the valley this morning and the river has started to go down...we also saw the 1st salmon fly! (A good sign.) It is getting better!
    Why Deanna surely you don't mean the same papers spreading their own version of the truth, or more likely bilge, about the environmental impact of fracing (fracking) for natural gas and oil do you? Perish the thought that such bastions of truth, justice and the American way would spread a little bull, do a little wee bit of exaggerating just to sell copy. Shocking, just shocking!

Okay, now that I am done being a wise ....guy....all news agencies do this to a greater or lesser degree. North, south, east, west, liberal, conservative or indifferent. It is kind of like using a sein to check for bugs in the water. Your going to get a lot of goo with the good stuff.

7. Default

Why can't all that 'stuff' be dumped on some kind of membrane on the CEO's front yard. I'd bet they'd get it cleaned up in pretty short orded. Let their families have it for a while!

Blog Entries

Yep, that Billings Gazette is sure one of them eastern papers. I am also thinking all those farmers and rachers who are having to deal with this are sure glad that it didn't mess up the important part of the river where the trout fishermen go.

Doesn't matter where this occurred, it is still something that should not have happened.

http://billingsgazette.com/special-s...ews/oil-spill/

After reading of this incident, I traded in all my cars and bought a surfboard/skateboard with a wind turbine and a sail. for myself and my wife. To hell with those EVIL corporations who MALICIOUSLY sit streamside and pour gallons of oil into our streams. I'll show em!
    Mark

PS: I roller skate for groceries, a mere 3 miles .
    Last edited by Marco; 07-10-2011 at 03:09 AM.

I don't care about the news source or the political dialogue of people offering opinions.What really bothers me is the idea that... "Everyone Lives Downstream" .http://techalive.mtu.edu/meec/module01/Downstream.htm. Who is anyone to pass on pollution in the name of economics? I say it's no-one! It's not OK.To my way of thinking, all penalties for sources of water pollution are to be strictly enforced and prevented, whatever it takes.. Yes in my view, it takes the strong Government policing environment protection because your alternative is that we have business minds and stock holders making decisions regarding water quality. Foo-ee.!

Have we forgotten "The river of fire" http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=1642 and all the concerns we had as fisherman in the 50's, 60's,70's,80's, 90's and to this point in caring for the very life source that we survive on...water? Come on folks, to be a river keeper is our mission to watch what goes on, all of us fisherman. All of us need to watch out as human beings for each other. We are the Canary, the watch dogs for water quality in society, because we have a little understanding what goes on in the environment and most of the general public does'nt have a clue.Personally I won't be party to any idea that thinks this dump is ...ok. I moved upstream a long time ago to the continental divide (the source), but in my mind always see the river flowing to the sea and I'd like to think that I was looking out for what goes downstream to the next guy. If the dump happened in Memphis, I'd still give a crap !

"As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread