+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubbing Methods / Techniques

Default Dubbing Methods / Techniques

I have learned what little I know about tying trout flies out of books and videos. Unfortunately, I have never been in a position where I could discuss what a better tyer was doing or ask questions. I learned to dub flies by taking a little dubbing, usually too much, and twisting it around the thread into a string which was wrapped around the hook. I learned to use a dubbing loop to make buggy or fuzzy looking flies, mostly nymphs. But watching LeRoy Hyatt on the WKSU series I learned to make a tight dubbing loop and dub dry flies in that manner. It seems to a better method for me in some or most situations. What do you guys do? Do you know any little tricks to make better looking flies (especially to the fish) or easier to do methods?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

My suggestion is not about dubbing per se, it is to incorporate the ribbing within the dubbing. Since I discovered embroidery tinsel/thread I have seldom used wire for ribbing. However you make your dubbing (single strand, loop, loose or tight) two strands of embroidery thread included alongside the thread does the job of ribbing IMO. The dubbing is reinforced, sparkle occurs at random, and I only have to wrap up the hook once. On some light flies I use the black/charcoal 'tinsel/thread' as a highlight to accent the segments - many colours of the embroidery tinsel thread are available.

You can also use all six strands to wrap for ribbing on larger flies like buggers or for the body on some wet flies for instance.

Jesse,

I'm very fond of inserting the dubbing into a split tying thread. It basically serves the same purpose as a dubbing loop, but adds less bulk, and it is easily dubbed as light or heavy as you need. In order to use the technique though, you can't use a bonded thread, but have to use a continuous filament thread like Danville, Gordon Griffiths, etc.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Have you thought of using the rope dubbing technique that Don Ordes touts?

Wayneb

Don's Ordes's dubbing dvd actually gives 24 different dubbing techniques... It's pretty cool! You'll learn a whole lot!

http://www.fantasyflies.com/ropedub_dvd.php

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...ad=4046&page=1

There's a WHOLE bunch of dubbing techniques in that link. I am sure you will find something that peaks your interest. There is one technique called the dubbing noodle that looks very similar in results to the dvd that is for sale in this thread. I am sure they are worlds apart though.
    Last edited by DUB; 07-08-2011 at 10:42 PM.

I have a couple of fly tying DVD's with Oscar Feliu and he wets his fingers with flotant when twisting on the dubbing. Made very good sense to me, no need to add it when on the stream.

I use a dubbing loop 99% of the time. I've learned how to do some "dubbing brush" type things with just a loop lately, and have been experimenting with how different materials look in it. The best thing about tying is all the means to get to your end!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Wow!!! Thanks for the link Dub!!! That one got book marked - lots to read/re-read. I have wax dubbed mainly with some frustrated loop attempts for a long time just because i thought wax was the easiest way and i never had the loop tool.... that will be changing! Gotta get the loop tech down and i recently made my own loop tool so no more trying to be a finger contortionist!

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/i...ad=4046&page=1

There's a WHOLE bunch of dubbing techniques in that link.
    Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Don't know why you'd want to use a dubbing loop on a dry fly. Doesn't make sense to me.

For basic dries, I just take a pinch of dubbing and twist it on the thread. Same technique you can see in 1000s of videos on the 'net.

My only tip would be to go sparse on dries. I think it was Ed Engle who worte that you should think about "painting the thread." No more than that is needed for a dry.

I go with dubbing loops on big nymphs - where I have to build bulk quickly or become bored out of my mind.

+ Reply to Thread