+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need armature magnets for an old Diehard trolling motor....

Default Need armature magnets for an old Diehard trolling motor....

Hello,

Fishing for magnets......Have a '60's Sears Diehard 15lb thrust trolling motor. Like the little devil and think I would like it on my pontoon boat. It was not working so I tookit apart and fixed it. Re-assembled and worked very well. Took it back apart to make improvements (big mistake). Next morning found the two magnets on the carpet...each in two pieces! They are apparently fragile. I do not know how I done did this. But...since such an old motor with a hugh brand name....hoping someone has an old motor that doesn't need it's magnets anymore.

Cannot glue them back together. Well, can....but sorta beyond me. Once they break, at the point where they separated they now OPPOSE each other. Must be forced back together and epoxed with a conductive epoxy. I have been informed there is a product called Liquid Steel....but not what you find now a days. It comes in a metal can that looks like the can of pvc glue. So I am told.

I have been unable to find this product or fix the magnets. Really like the little motor. Just armature magnets bad.....

Any help would be giantly appreciated.

Have a large afternoon.

Jim

Hi Jim,
    Two suggestions that may or may not work. Try an electrical repair shop, they may have some. Or, there is a product that is a two part epoxy. Name escapes me right now, but if I have some I'll post the name. You can drill this stuff and do things to it.
    My 4.5 cernts.
    Mike

Its probably JB weld, but none of the metal exoxies on the market are not conductive to do what you are attempting, it has been tried before and to no avail
    That trolling motor was made by minkota, so you might be abled to find parts for it somewhere.
    Last edited by Goduster; 07-03-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Jim;
    Don't know about your magnets, sorry, but if electrical supply isn't accessible to you, JB Weld is two part epoxy that fixes anything IMO. Usually found in any hardware store or big Box store

Blog Entries

Did you try Sears? Just wondering.

www.sears.com then click on parts replacement and enter the model number. It would be a long shot since it is so old, but worth a try.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Hey Gemrod,

I would try Sears also, you never know...

By the way, long time, no hear!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I thank yee for the efforts. I have searched for conductive glues on internet. Much out there but became weary looking for what I needed. One item alone was over $40 I think. Anywhooo....I checked all the local stores in my smal town. Autozone, Checker, Home Depot, lowes, etc. They all have a large display of glues.....but ALL of them state "you can drill, file, etc.......their glue. None of them address conductivity on their packaging...like the ones on the internet. Seems ALL the local glues are just that. A hardening agent but not conductive. I fould ONE at Autozone that addressed it's conductivity. NOT! It's resistance is...geeze I forgot. uh....something like 5 times 100 to the 15th power-ohms resistance! Not even conductive. JB weld is just that. Another great bonder but non conductive. These magnets must be FORCED together and secured with a truoly conductive material. The little electrons and protons got's to re-align themselves. I assembled it as is.....just for grins. It runs.....ONLY IN REVERSE ON HIGH SPEED! Chuckle. Not what I am really after. Called Minn Kota and they say they no longer make a motor less than 30lb thrust and therefore would not have the smaller magnets as a part. Sears was no help, they wouldn't even tell me who the manafacturer was.

I do indeed thank you all for the effort to help out. I am in hopes someone out there in the world will have access to a ruined Sears Diehard 15lb thrust electical trolling motor. It is a piece of cake to remove the magnets. But even not removing. Just un bolt boaf ends, slide out the armature and wallah! you have the cylinder housing with the magnest inside stuck to the inside walls.

Much obliged for trying....and just pls keep your eyes open iffen at a garage sale or flea market.

Jim
    oh....I am thinking of filing some metal to get a pile of metal filings, mixing it heavy into a bonding agent and gluing the magnets. I have a pvc pipe the right size to hold the two magnets....separated but forced together with wood plugs....to set them up. Might as well try it....making my own conductive bonding agent....iffen it works.....who knows? Might work.

Blog Entries

Then again, maybe it is time to give the old motor a proper send off and chuck it away. Then look around for a replacement trolling motor.

Good luck on your search for a parts motor.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Whitewolf--I don't know if this is any help to you or not. You didn't say how big/strong/particular size the magnets you were looking for. Can you have them made? I work in a hdw store a couple days a week and I know they have round magnets, square magnets, oblong magnets, etc. etc. I dont know what machining would do to a magnet so that might not be a possibility.
    Check out this site. Maybe there is something here that would get you going.
    http://www.emovendo.net/

And then too, dont forget to look at the auctions in your area. I see older trolling motors all the time at most of the auctions I go to. www.auctionzip.com

George

Old ? ****? you mean you are an old Fix And Repair Technician?

Nice magnet website. Looks promising. Will call them tomorrow. Would have emailed them a question but they required TOO much personal information on their form.

Thanks Mr. George
    ps....haven't tried the autionzip site yet. I just know there are a ton of these old trolling motors laying around somewhere in the United States. I just have to find one.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread