+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First decent Catch of the Season

Default First decent Catch of the Season

caught this 16'' Cutthroat the other day using an adams. This fish is also my first fish on my own fly, and on my first rod i've built.

What a great way to start off the season, time to hit some high mountain lakes now.
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

Way to go David! I'm mucho jealous.

Nice fish David. I wish I could remember the first fish I caught on a fly of my own LOL. Probably wasnt thinking about it too much at the time . And I have only been tying a couple of years so if I had to guess it was also a cutt but probably on an PT or GRHE b/h nymph.

I am going to be waiting a couple of months to get into the high mountain lakes here. Ahhh well at least I can fish some of the local rivers .

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkKillam (edited 28 March 2006).]
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Congratulations x 3. Great looking rod, great looking fish and the Adams must have been pretty great too to fool such a fine fish.

I find it interesting David you choose anAdams as a fly to tie and use on your first venture on the waters with your own creation. Too many times I have seen the novice tier jump to the exotics and create monsters that would rather freighten a fish rather than intice one. Have you or do you own Ray Bergmans book "Trout" ? I think you would enjoy the old patterns that still catch fish and are fairly easy to tie and procure materials to tie them. Don't get me wrong..bombers, foam patterns, bunny's and all that have a place..I just think you started off in the right direction. Congratulations, very fine fish. Jonezee

Thank you everyone! Joneeze, This is really the first pattern I started to catch fish on. When I first started a few years ago I tied whatever looked cool, like you said alot of novice tiers did (explains all the trips that ended in "Skunked, again!" ) This fly is truly amazing, I had no idea it was an older fly, sucess carries on I guess. I will check into that book, as I want to start collecting some fly fishing books, I would also want to get some Gary Lafontaine books, if anyone could recomend a few good ones to start out with? I have One of his books and absolutely love it.Thanks!
    - David

------------------
    "He told us about Christ's disciples being fisherman, and we were left to assume...that all great fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fisherman and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." - Norman Maclean-A River Runs Through It

I think as Maclean might have added (directors cut) "David you have saved the fly and the fly has saved you". In my opinion you are steering your fly fishing career in a good direction. Ebooks has lots of Ray Bergman Trout starting at $5.00. You will enjoy his prose as well as the amazing color photographs of old fly patterns. Mr. Castwell our modirator and host has highly endorsed Trout as a best and first book for the beginning or experienced fly fisher. Tight lines, Jonezee

Congrats! Nice fish there and catching it on a fly you tied plus a rod you built makes it even better.

David,

Job well done!! I also love the backdrop to your picture. Makes me wish I could afford to travel there and see your beautiful State.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

To JC's point -

Clip the fly, keep the picture, add the details (date, location, weather, etc) and frame them together.

It won't take 50 yrs for it to become priceless....

+ Reply to Thread