+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SAGE LE 890-4??

Default SAGE LE 890-4??

Ok, so tonight I picked up my first Sage stick. It's slightly older, but it's still brand new to me!! It's a 9' 4 piece 8wt. It's my only bigger rod, mostly fish a 3 weight, and after an hour or two of casting it I think it's really a pretty nice smooth feeling cast. Does anyone have any opinions(good or bad) that they'd like to share about having this rod, or any other in it's series?? I'm going to be using this one mainly for schoolie stripers, and maybe some large smallmouth fishing in the Susquehanna this summer, should it be a good choice for this?? Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

I'll give you twenty bucks for the stick if you pay the postage. Just kidding, I don't own one but fish with a buddy who has one and loves it. If you havn't bought line yet, go to GlobalDorber, a FAOL sponser and try their Canadian made Aquanova WF 8 wt line. It is only $14,40 and IMOHO a good bet. Also pick up their 20lb backing for a couple of bucks. These guys ship fast and stand behind their product. Stripers beware!

Actually, I did pick up a line, and a reel. I went in looking to get a complete outfit, and I left quite happy. I'm a little on the cheap side, so I look for deals. I picked up the Sage Rod, a new Okuma Large Arbor "SLV" 7/8, which may be inexpensive, but I really like the drag, and the finish of the reel, and the owner of my local shop asked me to try out a line for him. He said use it for a few days, and return it when I'm ready to buy my own line. It's a Jim Teeny "Nightline", it's not the newest thing, but I think I really like it. It's glows in the dark if you charge it by putting it under your headlight for a few minutes. The thing I really like about it though is that it has a nice clear intermediate sink tip on it, and it seems to cast very well. he told me if I liked it, that I could have it because it's been at the shop with no interested buyers for a while now. I'm anxious to hook into a few good fish on this thing now!!

The Sage LE has a pretty light touch and a moderate action. It will be interesting to see how it handles with an Intermediate sinking line.

An 8 wt. is used on the Chessie for more than just schoolies. I use a 6 wt. for schoolies and an 8 is just awesome for walking the DE beaches and flats in the summer!

Be careful with the reel. It will require cleaning after every saltwater use. I am "junking" all our Okuma reels this spring for corrosion. They are OK in the fresh; but, not the salt. Save up for a Tioga or other sw friendly reel for when the Okuma dies.

Have fun!

Thanks for your tips on the reel. I plan on picking up something more Salt Friendly, but this was a spur of the moment purchase, and I just wanted something to hold the line for a while. I'll be sure and clean it after each use, as I usually take great care of my equipment anyhow. The Teeny is an intermediate line, but it only has the front five feet as a sink tip, so I guess it's more of a sink tip, than an intermediate. It casts nice so far, and doesn't feel as if it's overweighted or anything like that. The rod does feel sort of soft, but I like that feel, and look forward to catching a few fish very soon on it. Thanks again for the suggestions

+ Reply to Thread