+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral hog attacks anyone?

I have not done it myself, but here in NZ pig hunting is very popular, no rifles or guns, just a team of pig dogs and a knife. The dogs chase and bail up the pig then the hunter goes in and sticks the pig in the neck with the knife.
    I have seen some pics of wild pigs that are huge, like 120 kg's, that is heavier than your average bloke!
    All the best.
    Mike.

A few years ago, I was turkey hunting when a small hog came out of the brush and charged me. I shot it at 8 feet.

Poke'em--your reflexes are obviously better than mine, but then again you were probably much younger at the time and that's my excuse for not even being able to get the revolver out of the holster. Eight feet is about the distance the sow charging me turned off, much to my delight!
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Y'all just remember that in many parts of this country, these things can carry Bucellosos... You can still eat the meat, but you need to wear gloves an take a few sensible precautions when gutting, and processing.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    Y'all just remember that in many parts of this country, these things can carry Bucellosos... You can still eat the meat, but you need to wear gloves an take a few sensible precautions when gutting, and processing.
    Very good advice! They also carry trichinosis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

as well as various strains of the flu. yes the swine flu (let the wise cracks begin ) like all wild game cooking it thoroughly as in no pink meat will keep one from getting ill or perhaps even death.
    My boss told me that crossing me is like playing with DET cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Sort of on topic here. I have seen the reality show where they attempt to capture these things, by hand of all things. I have also seen where they attempt to kill one of these things with a compound bow. What I fail to understand is they are catching these things to destroy them and if they intend to kill one outright why the heck don't they use a 25.06 or something? I mean we have had pretty decent rifles around for quite sometime made just for killing wild animals. If I were out to get me a wild hog I would use the best weapon available. Certainly not a bow and arrow or a rope.
    Kerry-- of course a good rifle would make more sense, but who watches reality shows to see intelligence!?
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I've got a friend who manages a large farm in Georgia for a semi-absentee land owner and one of his regular jobs is to help keep the wild hog population in check. The hogs, hoglettes and hogettes regularly damage fences, crops and just about anything else you can name. On the positive side, they are delicious when cooked properly. As far as attacks go, like most wild things, they pretty much stay away from humans if you leave them alone. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 06-30-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Wow! We don't have many in PA, but I saw on TV those things can be very dangerous.
    Don't be so sure....
    NYS DEC has finally fessed up to them beginning to get a foothold in some of the southern tier counties.
    I've always heard that there three kinds of states. There are states that have wild hogs, states that wish they didn't have wild hogs and states that are glad they don't have wild hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by cj4750 View Post
    Don't be so sure....
    NYS DEC has finally fessed up to them beginning to get a foothold in some of the southern tier counties.
    I've always heard that there three kinds of states. There are states that have wild hogs, states that wish they didn't have wild hogs and states that are glad they don't have wild hogs.
    I saw some photos and they sure do a lot of damage.

+ Reply to Thread