+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicine Bow National Forest

Default Medicine Bow National Forest

Has anyone here ever fished the Medicine Bow National Forest west of Laramie, Wyoming?
    The guys in my family hunt pronghorn around Laramie in mid to late September every year. I'm just thinking... if I could go along and be 30ish miles away from some creek and small stillwater fishing, that would be pretty awesome.
    Is it worth looking into?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

Call the MBR National Forest and ask to talk to their fisheries bio. Best way to find what is where. I remember fishing up there as a teenager, and there being fish in lakes and streams up in the mountains, but that was 30 years back.

There are some nice streams in that area, as well as high mountain lakes. I fished a small creek just outside of Centennial. I can't remember the name of it, but the fish couldn't leave a renegade alone to save thier lives. It was chock full of brookies. You would most certainly be well served to take a rod with.
    I've got it marked on a Wyoming recreational map somewhere. I might have to dig a little to see if I can find it. I'll let you know asap.

TT.

First trout I ever caught was in Brush Creek just outside of Centennial. That was forty five years ago so you 'd have to look up his great-great-great grand sons to see if they are still around.
    Beauty place, it is.

I used to go up to the Encampment River in my younger days and really liked the place. Nice little medium sized river to fish. September should be perfect to fish anywhere in the area. You must go if you have the chance. It's a great neck of the woods.

Here's an outfit that has been there forever. Visit their website and give them a call on the 800 number. http://www.flystore.net/

Here's forewarning, you may just like it better than KS and wanna move there. GO WEST YOUNG MAN ! Bring your rod and gun. Just think... get up at 6 am KS time and 6pm, same day your in paradise.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Thanks guys. I just didn't know if it was even worth my time to look into very seriously.
    DG, I will definitely do that. I have also been to the West Laramie Fly Store numerous times, and will consult them as well. Those guys seem to know their stuff.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Blog Entries

QK, there is a young flyfisher who comes in the chat on occasion these days who lives in Laramie and probably fishes up there. Might drop by of an evening and chat him up.

Also don't miss the Little Laramie River where it crosses 130 on the way to Centennial. There is a "school Section" where the browns are always hungry. My first fly caught trout in 62' at the RR trestle ( now abandoned)

Mark
    PS: And of course, I was directed there by the folks at the West Laramie Fly Store.

You being such a young buck and all you may have missed a few reports from the lady that says there are no fish in South Dakota:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ighlight=Snowy

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ighlight=Snowy

There might even be a photo around of fish caught and I'm thinking I saw one of a certain someone stuck in the muck near an old beaver pond but I may have imagined that. Seems like you should head up for an Olathe tying session (assuming said celebrity is in the house) and find out the skinny on where to go. Be wary, though--she won't give up her best and most secret spots to just anyone. I've never asked myself since I haven't felt worthy.

I suggest Four Seasons Fly Shop, 100 yards west of WLFS on same side of Hwy 130. Good guys who know their stuff!

+ Reply to Thread