+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restoring old bamboo rods

Default Restoring old bamboo rods

I have my Grand Dad' and my Uncle's old bamboo fly rods. They need restoring with new wrapping and refinishing. I would like to fish a day or two with them just to see what they used before I was born. They date back to the 30's and 40's. I don't want to get into rod refinishing myself just for two rods. Is there any one in the Dallas- Ft. Worth area they does this kind of work? If so please email me at TexasCanoe@earthlink.net

Thanks
    Charles Richerson

[This message has been edited by TexasCharles (edited 26 March 2006).]

TexasCharles;
    I have a feeling dleo6446 will be stopping by. While not in Texas he'd be a good goto guy for information.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I might suggest posting down the line on "Rod Rebuilding - Cane and Graphite" I am sure you will find lots of friendly advice there.

Are they 'signed' and numbered rods or factory rods. Certainly give them a try if they are not dried out with splits forming but I'd find out what they are first. If they haven't been used in 70 years or so...well let the expert cane guys on here know what they are before you do much with them. They will tell you why...Good luck.

My Grand Dads rod has not been fished since the early 50's. It has laid in my shop for the last 30+ years. Any marking have long since faded off. It needs everything to make it useable again. I has a fancy fitted case and two tip sections.

My Uncle's is much nicer. It could be fished as is but I fear the old wrappings would start coming undone if it was used. My uncle probably hasn't fished it in at least 30 years. I have had it about 5 years. While it is a better condition rod my Grand Dads appears to be a much more expenses better quality rod.

Both of them are as stiff as a 2"x4". The reels are old automatics.

Thanks for the info. I will post this question later on the rod building forum.
    Charles

Texas, I can help you out on the restoration but I'm not in Texas. Drop me a line and we can talk and maybe work something out.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Charles,
    If he is still in business, you should check with John A. Bradford in Ft. Worth. He has been building and restoring bamboo rods since 1952, so he probably knows a little about it by now. I found an E-mail address in Black's Flyfishing Directory which I hope is correct: jjabco@aol.com.
    If that doesn't work, he is in the phone book. Hope you find this helpful.

Larry Compton

Thank you Larry, I will send John an email. Someone in Ft. Worth which is very close to me would be great.

Charles

Charles,

John Bradford was in business a year ago when I talked with him on the phone. If you can't get an email response, I will dig up his phone number for you.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread