+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any fly fishing ham radio operators??

Blog Entries

Joe those look like great antennas, I am guessing that you have the dreaded C&R's hanging over your head to be puting them indoors.

Thanks for the link to the site, I have been looking for a good 2/70 antenna to build

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 06-15-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Sharp antennas, Joe! I've doen everything from load the raingutters (GREAT 75m antenna!) to a modified G5RV that I use now. I love those copper water pipe antennas. Easy to build and they were cheap. Not so much now, though.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

N6VFS here, my 10M beam is down at this time. However, with the sun acting up I will put it back up.
    When 10M is in, it's a lot of fun to work around the world.

73 and tight lines

Crunchy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Joe those look like great antennas, I am guessing that you have the dreaded C&R's hanging over your head to be puting them indoors.

Thanks for the link to the site, I have been looking for a good 2/70 antenna to build

Eric
    Actually, I had the dreaded NE Ohio weather to deal with when I built them this Winter, and could not get on my roof to put up the antennas. There are no deed restrictions in my neighborhood, but a 200' FAA restriction does exist. I'll be mounting the "Arrow" style on my chimney chase real soon, which will put it at about 30'-35' above grade. I'm using that antenna instead of the copper cactus, because it "talks" so well. The elements are 3/8" dia. solid aluminum, 6061-T6 grade, and will handle 1000 watts. I'm not sure who would run that much power on uhf/vhf, but the antenna will handle it. without a problem.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

FCC Regs say that HOA's and other entities may not restrict outdoor placement of Amateur Radio Antennas. We have covenants the specifically forbid outdoor antennas, but I have my tower and another amateur in the subdivision has several towers. They are deemed necessary for National Security in time of disaster.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Hey Joe,

Contact my uncle...he's into everything HAM. As for fly fishing...I'm workin' on it. lol He's on his way back to Woody Creek, Colorado (just a few steps away from the Roaring Fork River...and 15 minutes away from the Frying Pan) He was in Michigan last week.
    He keeps this going and he's on the radio almost constantly...
    Tell him your a friend of mine. He'll get a kick out of it.
    http://aprs.fi/?call=k0vk-2&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

I just had a look at where he is right now...looks like he's pretty much home...just picking up some groceries at the store in Glennwood.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 06-16-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

WB8YYI 73s Joe wirebender

I was always interested but never dove in. Shared a "shack" with K9QOV and W9JFD Fixed Portable VE3 (Canada). They called me in to help with translation ( Polish, Russian Ukrainian) of tech-reg stuff. It WAS a blast to talk around the world.

Mark
    PS: CQ CQ CQ
    Last edited by Marco; 06-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Marco, it's never too late to get licensed. I bought the book on Tuesday and passed the exam (35 questions) on Saturday. I'm now working on my General Class license so I can talk on high frequency. With the current technology, you can talk to people all over the world via IRLP and EchoLink using the radio and/or the computer as long as you have a technician license. I have made contacts in Slovenia, Israel, Germany, England, New Zealand and Australia just on my laptop with an Internet connection. I was fishing for perch and walleye on Lake Erie today and talked to Sheffield, England on my handheld radio via IRLP. It's pretty awesome stuff, and there is no cost after buying your radio. My first radio cast me $50 off craigslist, and I now use it almost exclusively for IRLP.
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 06-18-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,

You posted: "I'm now working on my General Class license so I can talk on high frequency"

I know of another way you can accomplish that, but, I won't go into it now......LOL

Sorry, I just had to....... : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread