+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Flies From Today

You do dress a very nice fly, I think the card background is better.
    There is a very good series of articles on photography here on FAOL.
    It is worth having a look at. Well! it is free, and very useful, full off good tips.
    It is by the late Al Campbell, a few years old but still very good.
    Go to:-
    Main Page
    Features
    Al Campbell
    Digital Imaging Part 1
    This is only the first in the ten part series.
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 06-11-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald, thank you so much for the compliment, just a bit of history on my tying as of February I have been tying for just one year so I guess it is about 16 months. I come from the east coast of Canada(hence the affection with salmon flies).
    My main influences in my short period(you may recognize a few) Damian Walsh, Bill Carpan, Danny Ripley, Bryant Freeman,Scott Doncaster and Dwayne Miller. I have also had the privilege of honing my skills in the Beginner Swap on here.

I have not left my comfort zone of Salmon Hairwings but can soon see it coming. Plans include, dubbing seal fur, spinning deer hair, and tubes.

I can only hope I get the help with these techniques as I have gotten with the hairwings.

Thanks again. P.S. A key to my learnings was listening. The Book has been ordered.

Switched to filling the Trout Boxes from the Hairwing Salmon flies.

Will be tying a few dozen Trude Style flies(Thanks Donald for the inspiration)

Looking at some pics from home made me think about swing flies on the Tracadie/South/West and all points within reach, here is a very simple but effective pattern for aggressively feeding salmonoids of all types.
    Maroon Antron Trude

Hope you like.

Ooo! I like that!

For Nova Scotia brookies, some dark montreal's would be good too. They would get you practicing your quill wings. Size 10 and 12 would be good. Some bucktail streamers, like Mickie Finns are a must have (and they will take Atlantics too!). Bucktail versions of Parmachene Belles are good to have, but do make sure you progress to the married wing slip version. I've generally preferred the red stripe down the middle rather than the red stripe on top, but both will take trout. Also, I know some people do well with a Jenny Lind, so if you can find some lavender quills and hackle then give that a go (tail: lavender fibres; body: yellow floss; rib: flat gold; throat hackle: furnace; wing: married quill slips: lavender over red over lavender). Grizzle kings are good too, and I would suggest tying them with the wing streamers free, and also with some with the wing lashed down along the body Matuku-style (in which case it would be called a green Dorathy here in New Zealand).

Anyway, I've always done well with P.Belle's and Royal Coachman's for trout back home (in Nova Scotia). Last time (2009), I was chatting with a fellow who snapped up a couple as we talked in a pool that I had just skunked. He was fishing a dry fly called a MacIntosh, but I didn't get a good look at it. It was generally brownish (perhaps hare's ear dubbing, and fox squirrle tail/wings, brown/furnace hackle?). If you come across the dressing for it, I would be interested in it.

Funny how that just brought back some memories for me. Thanks!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Ooo! I like that!

For Nova Scotia brookies, some dark montreal's would be good too. They would get you practicing your quill wings. Size 10 and 12 would be good. Some bucktail streamers, like Mickie Finns are a must have (and they will take Atlantics too!). Bucktail versions of Parmachene Belles are good to have, but do make sure you progress to the married wing slip version. I've generally preferred the red stripe down the middle rather than the red stripe on top, but both will take trout. Also, I know some people do well with a Jenny Lind, so if you can find some lavender quills and hackle then give that a go (tail: lavender fibres; body: yellow floss; rib: flat gold; throat hackle: furnace; wing: married quill slips: lavender over red over lavender). Grizzle kings are good too, and I would suggest tying them with the wing streamers free, and also with some with the wing lashed down along the body Matuku-style (in which case it would be called a green Dorathy here in New Zealand).

Anyway, I've always done well with P.Belle's and Royal Coachman's for trout back home (in Nova Scotia). Last time (2009), I was chatting with a fellow who snapped up a couple as we talked in a pool that I had just skunked. He was fishing a dry fly called a MacIntosh, but I didn't get a good look at it. It was generally brownish (perhaps hare's ear dubbing, and fox squirrle tail/wings, brown/furnace hackle?). If you come across the dressing for it, I would be interested in it.

Funny how that just brought back some memories for me. Thanks!

- Jeff
    Ask and yee shall .Body material can be thread, dubbed fur, floss, wool or synthetic material. My favourite is Phentex yarn, which is inexpensive, readily available in many colors, and floats on water. Daylight fluorescent Uni-stretch makes a light, colorful body on small sizes. Bodies may be embellished with tinsel, such as silver or gold flat mylar tinsel. I prefer mylar to metallic tinsels for a dry fly so as to minimize weight.Whatever is used for the body, it should occupy only the rear half to the hook shank, leaving the front half for wing, hackle and head. The body should be slim, so as not to force the angle of the wing upward. The MacIntosh wing is tied flat over the body. Remember that the fly should float sitting on its hackle and wing tips. If the wing is too short, the fly may land on its head with the wing straight up, which looks really dumb. It is important that the wing base be wrapped with thread from the tie in point (immediately ahead of the body) to a point immediately behind the head position, leaving enough space and a smooth base upon which to wrap the hackle.Hackles should be tied in by their base (not tip), and the bright side of the hackle feathers should face the eye of the hook. Tying them backwards can make the fly spin when it is being cast and fished, resulting in a twisted leader tippet and, heaven forbid, a possible bird?s nest on the end of the line.I like to use two saddle hackles on all except the small hook sizes, winding one first and the second through the first, stopping at the point where the wing base ends and where the head begins. Many anglers feel that hackle is the most important part of the MacIntosh, the part that is most visible to a fish looking up at the fly. Looking at a MacIntosh held up toward the sun one can easily see the attraction - brightly colored hackle points sparkling in the sun. .Original MacIntosh Dry Black-Head Black thread-Body Pine Squirrel_Wing Brown-Hackle White Hackle Dry Red-Head Wine or Red-Body Pine Squirrel-Wing White or cream_Hackle Pink Lady MacIntosh Black-Head Light Pink-Body Grey Squirrel-Wing Light pink-Hackle Badger Hackle Dry Black-Head Black-Body Pine Squirrel-Wing Badger-Hackle Ginger Hackle Dry Black-Head Fluor. Green or Red-Body Pine Squirrel-Wing Ginger-Hackle Orange Blossom Dry Black-Head Olive-Body Grey Squirrel-Wing Hot orange-Hackle Golden MacIntosh Black-Head Black-Body Pine Squirrel-Wing Deep golden yellow-HackleCosseboom Dry Red-Head Green-Body Grey Squirrel-Wing Yellow-Hackle Grizzly MacIntosh Black-Head Any colour-Body Grey Fox-Wing Natural grizzly, or grizzly dyed yellow, pink, or orange-Hackle Gorgeous George Black-Head Black-Body Grey Squirrel-Wing Red and yellow mixed-Hackle

Thanks a lot! the bottom middle looks like what he was using.

- Jeff

Jeff the key to this fly is the wing is tied in mid hook

Yes, I got that from your description. The body is tied from the rear to about mid-shank. Then the wing tied in there and lays along the shank towards the head area. This is then covered and wrapped in thread to form a new tying base. The hackle, shiney side out, is then tied by the base in at the wing and wrapped forward. If two feathers are used, then each is wrapped one at a time (so a grizzle/brown mix could be used, and with with a dark grey body and grey squirrel wing one would produce an Adam MacIntosh!). The wing is tied in long, to act like "tail support" for floatation, and the body is kept thin as the wing must lie in low - caddis style.

Cool. Look for one fly and I get a whole system! I like it.

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Yes, I got that from your description. The body is tied from the rear to about mid-shank. Then the wing tied in there and lays along the shank towards the head area. This is then covered and wrapped in thread to form a new tying base. The hackle, shiney side out, is then tied by the base in at the wing and wrapped forward. If two feathers are used, then each is wrapped one at a time (so a grizzle/brown mix could be used, and with with a dark grey body and grey squirrel wing one would produce an Adam MacIntosh!). The wing is tied in long, to act like "tail support" for floatation, and the body is kept thin as the wing must lie in low - caddis style.

Cool. Look for one fly and I get a whole system! I like it.

- Jeff
    Hey Buddy it is actually the system of a great Salmonoid lover on the St.Mary's in Stillwater Bill Carpan. He knows his stuff

Default Royal Trude

Today's effort,Thinking a Big old Brown at dusk may like to have a go at her.

+ Reply to Thread