+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantastic Tying Desk

Mostly I tie crappie jigs and I keep really too busy with that so lots of repeat stuff. The flies I sell some if someone sees them on my site and wants some, but my flies I tie mostly for my enjoyment. I took this up as a total hobby for something to do when I stopped stock trading and started with the jigs and someone ask if I sold them and I said no, but guess I could. So put my web site up and after about 1 1/2 years I have been behind ever since.
    I bought the rope dub DVD last July and have been trying to find time to really get into that more and even maybe some jigs based on that, but really it's mostly for me and the jig thing has kind of got out of control, but am reeling it in some now.

As for do I tie one and move on, well kind of, but I am subject to tie as many as it takes to get where I like the out come and then move on to another. I am always looking for things I can dream up to tie which I know most have been tied before, but if I have not sent hem at least what I do is something I came up with and am happy with that. I guess every time I see new materials I don't have I start to think of what I can do with them and soon my OCD takes over, LOL!

Oh forgot to say this is really a wonderful hobby and never run out of something to tie that is new so I just love it.

Skip

I will jump in and say that I agree with you whole-heartedly. I love to tie and experiment, and the experimenting takes me many places I sometimes don't even know how I got there. But I've been tied down health wise the last couple of years and haven't had a real chance to try many of my own flies so I send them out with all of my friends and get reports on how they've worked (or not)!

This has been a real fun thing seeing their faces when they come back... Many of them wanting the recipe to something I dream-pt up and I have no clue and will have to dream up again. When they describe the fly to me, I can remember what it looked like but not necessarily how I got there. So then I'm off to re-inventing the bug.

I do also spend time looking at old fly books and how flys were tied in the past. It is pretty mesmerizing the different ways men and women have come up with the same fly over the years and named them differently, or at least almost identical. Be blessed and tight lines!
    Michael

That is very cool, but sorry to hear you don't get to use them. I have ample health issues my self, but could go fishing if there was water under my boat, but last Sept the SRA said they had to drop the water in this huge lake to repair the dam. Of course since we were in a drought already and still are the water has not come back to my boat. I was going to take it out, but when I went to check things out, just down the hill, my trailer of just 3 years old boards were rotten. I couldn't figure that one out at first, but then I found on the internet that you can't put new treated boards under an aluminum boat and I have a Lund. It sets up a chemical reaction that will eat holes in your boat so then I knew why my boards were rotten and mad they didn't tell me that. Eventually I bought some polypropylene boards on the internet to make mine good from now on, but by then the water was gone.
    So now much like you I tie my jigs for guys and they are the only ones fishing with them. I do wish more people her fly fished so I could do more of that.

May God Bless you as well!

Skip

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

I suddenly feel very dissatisfied with my tying desk. The green demon of ENVY has entered my life. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I suddenly feel very dissatisfied with my tying desk. The green demon of ENVY has entered my life. 8T
    That is one awesome tying station/desk/storage thing, biggest I ever have ever seen and would love one if only it would fit under my ceiling, LOL! Of course paying for that fine of a desk (having a hard time calling that just a desk) as it's got to be a lot of cost involved.

He really need to find a way to convince his wife to let it in the house though so the AC can keep everything nice, or some excuse.

Skip

+ Reply to Thread