+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me your favorite caddis pattern

Default Tell me your favorite caddis pattern

Well as some know i have been fishing mostly at the lake now,the 3 year old limits my trips to the hills lately,and was out one evening last week and came across some surface commotion.Seems i have a type of caddis at my lake!Dark brown to black around a size 16,the only fly i ever had for my trout were humpies in tan and black which did fair.So,i want to know what pattern most like for a caddis,i do know alot will say a elk hair caddis but i would like a more realistic pattern.

CDC & Elk; may not be any more realistic than EHC but you can fish it as an emerger, adult & spent.

Regards,
    Scott

A Stimulator tied in the size and colors you're trying to match.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Tinsel caddis in the fotw archives.

TT.

For underwater emerger = Tabou Caddis. For emerger in the film = Iris Caddis. Late-emrger/adult on top = XCaddis as tied by BRF
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Goddard Caddis, size and color to match the circumstances. Makes a great indicator fly with a pupa or emerger dropped off the back, too.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Ike's favorite, the Picket Pin.

Bob

My favorite, Lady's Fish Finder - basically just a full palmered fly on a dressed hook. Tie in whatever colors you see locally, can be skated, dapped or even fished wet like a soft hackle. Yes, it is in the archive here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/2198fotw.php

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    For underwater emerger = Tabou Caddis. For emerger in the film = Iris Caddis. Late-emrger/adult on top = XCaddis as tied by BRF
    Silver and I agree so often its a bit spooky ... Ditto on Silver's choices. I would also throw in an egg-layer for those times the bugs are dropping their loads in the evening.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

There maybe more effective patterns for specific times but what I want are generic patterns that are quick and easy to tie. For the Tabou Caddis which is the only pattern above that requires a "special" material (Chickabou), I've found that pheasant philoplumes work well. So those of you with pheasant skins, get cracking.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread