Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabid Beaver Attacks in Pennsylvania.....this is NO Joke!

Default Rabid Beaver Attacks in Pennsylvania.....this is NO Joke!

WGAL has this report on their site:

http://www.wgal.com/news/28120646/detail.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...-philadelphia/

This is no joke! We share the water with these guys and it was bound to happen.
    Be careful out there. If you see any animals acting strangely get away from them and call the game commission or fish and boat commission right away. If you are in a state park get a park ranger immediately.

Anyone who has ever trapped beaver knows that while normally shy these are big, strong animals that have a bit of a nasty temper to begin with. I sure as heck don't want to confront one that has rabies!
    My boss told me that crossing me is like playing with DET cord.

I was attacked by a rabid beaver once, in College Park Md. Phys. Ed major as I recall.

Blog Entries

I got my titer checked a couple weeks back, and I am still immune. What I worry about is them gnawing off my leg when I am wading.

Quote Originally Posted by Colston Newton View Post
    I was attacked by a rabid beaver once, in College Park Md. Phys. Ed major as I recall.
    There had to be one of these....

Giggling like this, and my wife looking at me like I am nuts...like that would surprise her.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Sorry but I really do not see any humor in this. Now I regret posting it. This is just another reason to leave the bulletin board here. I don't think you will hear any of those that were bitten laughing about it. Those of us who have been through the treatment for rabies know it is not a joking matter.

It's your board and I leave you to it.

Jim,
    On the offside chance that you check to see what further was posted ....

When something horrid happens, we all have a tendency to make an attempt at humor, so we can even start to process the awfulness of the action. You weren't here when one of our fully faithful was attacked and critically injured by a grizzly bear in Yellowstone. We honored her terror, but found her only too willing to add some humor to the horror she went through. When one of us has a close call, ie; falling in ... too fast a current ... death "certain", when we know that person is all right, we'll start the "humor" to hide our fear of what could have been, or knowing we have been in similar situations, how close to home it hits.

You've only been on here a month. That's hardly long enough to have learned much of anything. I suppose if you know everything about fly fishing/tying/furling/building/etc/etc, there wouldn't be any reason for you to stay. That's sad. There is an abundance of information here, along with some of the best people you could ever hope to meet.

I hope you change your mind about leaving. But, if you don't? Oh well.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

8. Default

I hate it when people are funny. I'm leaving.

<edit>
    I just realized this post bumped me well past my average of one post per year of membership. Now I regret posting it.

Lighten up Jim...
    It's a long life without a sense of humor
    Rabid beaver...ha ha ha...hee..hee...hee!
    Adios

I have lurked around this board for many, many years. I recently decided to go ahead and register. I have extensively studied it's achieves. I am not new to fly fishing and could probably make a decent supplemental income if I decided to get back into instructing fly tying and casting again.

I have a terrific sense of humor but I also have manners. I do not now nor will I ever, ever make fun of a situation where people, especially children, have been injured, their lives threatened or could potentially be injured. To me that is poor manners and poor taste. It could be any one of us the next time. If you all think rabies is funny then you have never had to suffer through the treatments for it.

Beyond all of that lay the guffaws aside and really, really think about the significance of the statement that WCO made about not normally seeing rabies in the beaver population. Beavers are communal mammal with a very large range. When their food or water is depleted they will travel far and wide to better resources. That along with the fact that they are not solitary creatures opens up a previously unthought of route for the transmission of rabies in our state.

I suppose I should just listen to the tender feet from urban sprawl Pa and ignore this too. Just like we did that disease called whirling disease, ferrel swine, overpopulation of foxes and coyotes, raccoons, massive fish die offs in the Susquehanna and Juniata. I don't hear anyone making fun of those situations.

Enjoy.

Closed Thread