+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blame the UK fly tyers ...

Had a buddy give me a "raw" javalena skin. I was much younger and thought that it would be cool to tan it... Nawhhh... a really bad idea...

If you want javalena, just pay for the few hairs/bristles that you actually need!

et ergo ... my note in the original post!!! " (preferably separated from the living animal, cleaned, and dried) " LOL!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

The zoo in Wichita has some, but I think my membership may be revoked if one went "missing".
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I just saw this now - send me your snail mail address via PM for some goodies Not much, but it will get you started...
    -ZugbugPete

We actually saw a few last winter in our community - they are mostly nocturnal and can do real damage. I remember the ones Allan Podell had here on FAOL as well. Betty should have enough to experiment with by now.....<G>

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters sell it.
    FWIW, this is a great shop for tyers.

Deanna, I'm so excited!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Not to put a damper on the party, but aren't the Europeans using a different species of javelina from the collared peccary of SW US fame?

Ed

Ed,

Here's sopmething written about the animal:

"Peccaries (also known as Javelinas, by the Portuguese name javali and Spanish jabal? or pecar?) are medium-sized mammals of the family Tayassuidae. They are found in the southwestern area of North America and throughout Central and South America. Peccaries usually measure between 90 to 130 centimetres (3.0 to 4.3 ft), and a full-grown adult usually weighs between about 20 to 40 kilograms (44 to 88 lb).
    People often confuse peccaries, which are found in the Americas, with pigs which originated in Afro-Eurasia, especially since some domestic pigs brought by European settlers have escaped over the years and now run wild as razorback hogs in many parts of the United States.
    Peccaries are medium-sized animals, with a strong superficial resemblance to pigs. Like pigs, they have a snout ending in a cartilagenous disc, and eyes that are small relative to their head. Also like pigs, they use only the middle two digits for walking, although, unlike pigs, the other toes may be altogether absent. Their stomach is non-ruminating, although it has three chambers, and is more complex than that of pigs.
    Peccaries are omnivores, and will eat small animals, although their preferred food consists of roots, grass, seeds, and fruit. One of the ways to tell apart pigs and peccaries is the shape of the canine tooth, or tusk. In European pigs the tusk is long and curves around on itself, whereas in peccaries, the tusk is short and straight. The jaws and tusks of peccaries are adapted for crushing hard seeds and slicing into plant roots, and they also use their tusks for defending against predators.
    Peccaries are social animals, and often form herds. Over 100 individuals have been recorded for a single herd of white-lipped peccaries, but collared and Chacoan peccaries usually form smaller groups."

http://www.texasshoot-out.com/images/javelina.jpg

Hope this helps.

Allan

Blog Entries

Very interesting. I would like to try that material out one day too.

+ Reply to Thread