+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boundary Waters, Minnesota

Default Boundary Waters, Minnesota

I'm going to be going to the Boundary Waters up in northern Minnesota this summer for a family vacation. Anybody know when the best time of year is for catching smallies up there?

Anybody know of any good places to rent a cabin up there that has decent amenities for my mother and my 6 month old son?

I'll take any feed-back on the Boundary Waters

On Lake One check out the Kawishiwi Lodge. It's the last remaining lodge in the BWCA and where we took our disabled son when he was little. You have access to a string of lakes as well as the Kawishiwi River. It has individual cabins and is right on the water. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 27 March 2006).]

Best time to catch Smallmouth is after Memorial Day (Bass Season Opener) and before October 1st(Bass Season Closes). Also try to avoid the "Black Fly Season in Mid-June, in the BWCAW, they are everywhere, and they are nasty!

There is a nice resort on Lake #1 just couple miles to the east of Ely. Modern for the conditions, great beds, nice kitchen, running water, electricity, flushing toilets, hot showers. You may have to canoe across to your cabin, and anywhere else because the resort is right on the boundary of the BWCAW, and when you go fishing, Lake #1 is inside the BWCAW.

There is a nice waterfalls at one end of the lake, and you can portage to other lakes in the area, and still make it home before it gets dark. And it does get dark, really dark, so dark you cannot see your hand right in front of your face.

Then there are the owls staring in your windows at night, and the squirrels scampering across your roof top (at least I hope they were squirrels. Then late at night you might hear the timberwolves (Northern Grey Wolves) doing serenade when the moon appears. And every lake has a mating pair of Common Loons (Minnesota's "State Bird", and you will hear its eerie calls in the night hours. And you will sleep, the most deep sleep, from all that canoing and fresh air, and quiet. Yes the quiet is so loud, it is almost deafing. Contact the Ely Chamber of Commerce for the name of the resort on Lake #1.

Also, do not miss visiting the "Listen Point" when you are in Ely. Sigrud Olsen, never wrote his books there, but he used it to restore his soul, with the "Songs of the Singing Wilderness".

~Parnelli

Just remember, you are the guest, and the critters are the local population.

I just named it. You can google for information. jgw

White 43 and I posted about the same resort at the identical time. What are the odds of that happening again....?

White 43 and I, posted twice at the same time, this is really getting weird! ~Parnelli

I have been there in early and mid June three different times.

I have never thought the bugs to be bad but it was still cool each of those years.

The smallies were spawning at each trip up for the duration...one week.

I was out of Moose Lake. The resort motored me to Ensign and then we canoed up and around into Carp Lake. We had smallmouth beds every 1o yards and the averaged 2 1/2 pounds. It was awesome. I had church kids (Two groups of with me so no fly rod.

The kids had never fished before and just had a blast.

mahaska

+ Reply to Thread