+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Filson Vests

Default Question on Filson Vests

I am thinking of purchasing a Filson strap vest and there are two of them. One water proof and the other
    not. Any opinions on one vs the other?
    Thanks
    Bernie

I have a couple non-waterproof Filson Vests. If it is raining I wear them under my rain jacket.

I don't have the waterproof version, but I've had other brands of wax wear jackets (Barbour and Burberry) and they are very hot in warm weather. I think I'd even wear a waterproof Filson vest under my rain jacket if I had one because I wouldn't want rain water to get into my pockets and hence into my fly boxes, etc.

I had an Orvis vest once that had waterproof pockets and the only thing it did was to keep water inside the pockets where it soon ruined all my flies!

Filson has supurb customer service, so you only buy the vest once, and if anything goes wrong with it Filson will either repair or replace it -- no questions asked.

I also have the non-waterproof Filson strap vest and when it does get wet from either wading deep enough to dip the vest or if rained on, I find they dry out very quickly. I bought mine used about 10 years ago and it has not given me any problems with the zippers or anything else. I have had the wife sew up some small tears but the quality of a Filson Strap Vest cannot be beat. I would think a person could always spray their vest with a waterproofer on the outside if they wanted to.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for the replies Warren and John. My questions are answered. Non waterproof it is !!!
    Bernie

Just more of the same really. I have the non waterproof one. I'm not sure the waterproof( ????) model buys you much other than in a light shower. If you get it in the water it will still take on water via the zippers and grommets and holes intended to let water out. I think it would be hot as well. Mine dries pretty fast and I don't worry about the contents. If I don't want stuff to get wet, I put it in plastic ziploc bags. I could always 'waterproof' it myself if I decided I wanted to...and I don't. If the waterproof one is "oilskin" then it's just treated with Linseed oil or a washable wax treatment like NixWax Cotton Proof.
    http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-gb/prod...d=48&activity=
    http://www.greenboatstuff.com/niwaxcopr.html
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Had my Filson over 10 years and I love it. When it gets wet is dries quickly. No problems with quality.

Blog Entries

Hey Bernie,

I bought one last year at the Fish-In. Thought it was pricey but it was the best as far as being light. One year later I don't regret it a bit. You can always throw on a raincoat.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread