+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how much does it weigh?

Default how much does it weigh?

my fishing buddy hooked this big carp. we guess that it is at least 20 lbs. a 5 wt rod was used.

I would say 20# is a safe guess. That would be a hand full on a 5wt, good job.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

If the rod shown is 24" and the girl's hand is about 3" wide that makes the fish about 36" long and roughly 18" girth.

Using those measurements and this calculator (http://www.fishdreams.com/calculator.all_species.html) the fish is between 11 and 13 pounds.

Use to shoot alot of them with a bow.On a 5 weight,must of felt like a hundred pounds.Rod,please hold up.

[QUOTE=Bill-B'klyn;419694]my fishing buddy hooked this big carp. we guess that it is at least 20 lbs. a 5 wt rod was used.

Quote Originally Posted by new2thefly View Post
    If the rod shown is 24" and the girl's hand is about 3" wide that makes the fish about 36" long and roughly 18" girth.

Using those measurements and this calculator (http://www.fishdreams.com/calculator.all_species.html) the fish is between 11 and 13 pounds.
    I don't put much stock in those fish calculators, especially on a grass carp. Grassers have unique bodies in that they're fairly thick throughout, unlike a bass, for instance, which has a thick belly but a relatively skinny tail. So I definitely think he's bigger than 11-13 lbs. That said, I really don't think he's 20 lbs either. I'd estimate about 15-17 lbs.

I would guess about twelve or so from the pics too. Good length but the fish in the twenty lb range have noticeable shoulders and depth. This is a horrible picture but it shows the shoulders well.

Here is a twenty three lb fish I caught last may. I carry a digital scale with me and weigh the fish in the net.

Great fish on a five weight!

Its a common carp, and not a grass carp. John has caught a LOT of 20-pound class carp on fly gear. I would definitely value his estimate.
    The biggest carp I've caught on any gear was on fly gear. It was 32" long and a very fat small lake fish, but well after spawning season. I didn't weigh it, but estimated it at around 16 pounds.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

This a grass carp, weighed on a cheap scale at about 7.5 - 8 lbs. I caught it on a 5/6 wt., 4 lb. tippet and it kept me busy for about 15 minutes. Most of you have seen the photo before, it did not appear to be more than half as thick as John's Montana carp. For sake of measurement, from elbow to wrist is about 12 inches.
    JLD GRASS CARP 2005-2.JPG
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread