+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone tried the new Orvis Access rods?

Default Has anyone tried the new Orvis Access rods?

I am interested in the 6wt in particular, but all comments will help. I currently have 4 6wt rods, but can't use any of them 'thoughtlessly' (in a good way). I am always adjusting for their flex, stiffness, weight, etc. Other rods I own in various weights I just fish with - the cast goes where I want and I don't think about the mechanics much. Maybe the Orvis could be like that for me.
    Any experience on this out there?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Greg H; 05-27-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Greg,

I cannot answer your question on an Orvis Access rod since I have never tried one, but, I can respond to your, 'thoughtlessly' (in a good way), feeling. This is the "feeling" I have with the TFO BVK fly rod in a 5wt. I also have it in the 7wt. The TFO BVK may be a rod you need to test cast. I apologize for not being able to answer your question and only suggest trying the TFO BVK rod to see if it will provide the "feel" you are looking for. If it does, you cannot beat the price at $224.95.

Just my opinion and nothing more.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

for the rods that you use thoughtlessly, do you have a 6wt in any of those models? if not i would try one of them. to get the thoughless feel, it's different for different people, the only way to tell is to try it for your self of get the opinion from some one that uses the same rods as you do. so to that effect, what are those rods that have that thoughtless feel for you?

I had a forty percent off coupon at Orvis last year, and I test cast the Orvis Access 6 weight tip flex and Orvis Hydros 6 weight tip flex. In the same time frame, I test cast and fished with the six weight Temple Form BVK rod. The Access rod was a nice casting rod as was the BVK, but the Hydros was by far my favorite rod of the three. I bought the Hydros rod and I really like it. My opinion was the the Access rod had much better feel to it than the BVK rod. Your results will probably vary so you should cast the Access if you can.

+ Reply to Thread