+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diffusion Hackling

Default Diffusion Hackling

Now that I've been introduced to Jason Borger's site and failed at the LREN (low riding emerging nymph), I decided to try one of his other techniqes called diffusion hackling to achieve a similar result. I
    also just got some beaver fur and it gave me a chance to try it out. Donald Nicolson had a post mentioning beaver fur and someone had replied that it worked well for dry fly dubbing, espectially when making thin bodies. Since Borger's pattern calls for a thin body, I had to give it a shot. The fibers for the wings are just clipped hackle fibers from the larger feathers from a dry fly neck. The first is a basic nymph pattern. The second fly has a wing that is made of the post material folded back over the thorax as Jason Borger stated could be done to create a wing. It works, but looks a little funny. I tried again using his technique but instead of using to whole post to pull over the thorax and diffuse the hackle, I only used a part of it and left the rest behind for the wing which I think turns out better since the wing then originates from the thorax instead of the head of the fly
    diffusion hackling 1.jpg

diffusion hackling 1a.jpg
    diffusion hackling 2.jpg

diffusion hackling 4.jpg

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Greg,
    Very very interesting, I am off to look at Jason Borger's site now, dammit, you've distracted me from a lot of in hand projects.
    Never mind, it does not take much.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Go to Gary Borger's BLOG NOW! to see an interesting Twinkle Wing Spinner?Hendrickson tie that kind of looks like your fly.

http://www.garyborger.com/
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks for the link Silver. That's a new material I've never seen. Looks like its fun to use. So many great patterns...

I just showed my wife the link above and was telling her about the winging material and she says "its just organza, I have some of that" Now I have a new winging material to try out, and I didn't even have to go to the fly shop to get some.

qpatton:

I rarely go to a fly shop for materials. Most of the time they do not have what I want or need (It's because of the Nation's the Economy). Fewer choices of brand name hooks, thread, and fly tying materials.

Luckily I am an "Outside the Box" person, and I did find a Gary A. Borger "Designing Trout Flies" at a 50% Off/Half-Price Book Store.

I get most of my fly tying materials from either JoAnn Fabrics (rayon thread, peacock herl, loose almond pheasant hackle) or Michaels!

I buy almost all my hooks on line from reputable fly shops. I recently bought some dry fly (up eye) hooks dressing old fly patterns.

Many of the fly tying and fly fishing books from the past are out of copy write, and the libraries throughout the world are converting these rare treasures over to PDF, for free downloads, before the books disintegrate completely..... so the past has been open wide to those of use who otherwise would never be able to read what those on whose shoulders we now stand.

As soon as I get done with transferring all 608 Panfish articles to my future "Features CD" folder (only 169 more articles to go), I am going to get busy with contributing some "Fly Of The Week" Articles to FAOL, when I am not out fly fishing for panfish.... ~Parnelli

PS: Lots of fly patterns in the Panfish Archives, that I have added to the FAOL Fly Pattern CD, in the "Other FAOL Fly Pattern" folder.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by gpatton View Post
    Thanks for the link Silver. That's a new material I've never seen. Looks like its fun to use. So many great patterns...
    Twinkle organza comes in different colors but white and black are the most used. The white is used for spinner wings. It is one of the materials that Gary calls "super triggers". A super trigger is a material or element of fly construction that exaggerates what the fish is looking for and so it serves to both attract the fish to the fly and triggers a take, sometimes even over a natural and other flies that contain just a normal trigger. Gary feels that the glint of light off of the twinkle organza stands out from the naturals and attracts the fish.

Another example is the sherry spinner of England tied with reddish orange wings rather than glassine translucent type wing material. It imitates the spinner of a blue winged olive. The natural does not have orange wings but since the spinners come back at sunset, the reddish light of the setting sun is seen by the trout looking up through the natural's wing which look orange to the trout. So the sherry spinner exaggerates this fact; and although the wings are not the color of the natural, they serve as a super trigger because they enhance the orange color of the fly and wings at sunset.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread