+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xylene to thin Goop question

Blog Entries

Default Xylene to thin Goop question

I have decided to try to thin Goop with Zylene (Xylol) to make my own Flexament type material. However all I can find is one gallon containers. I will never need that much, or want that much in my house. Does anyone know if it can be bought in a quart or smaller container? One gallon of Xylene is about 19 bucks. I checked with Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, K-Mart...but none carry that size. Only the first two carried Xylene at all. If you know it comes in smaller sizes, where do you acquire it?

They have quarts (of Xylene) at my local hardware store.
    But Xylene and goop are both pretty nasty, organic vapor-wise.

Water-based fabric cement is a usable substitute.
    Tear-mender (etc) can be thinned out (with water) and applied much like Flexament.
    It is not as flexible as Flexament. But it is so clean and easy to work with it's what I like to use.

I use naptha and have found it in quart sizes at those stores mentioned; don't know if it's any more/less toxic than xylene (I always mix it outside and avoid the vapors) but it thins Goop just fine.

Regards,
    Scott

Pretty sure I got mine at True Value hardware.
    Toluene is also a good solvent for Goop...might be more readily available in that size.
    Also likely available at paint stores.

Another solvent you can use is 'Laquer Thinner'. It comes in pint containers. I've used it specifically to thin GOOP and it works. However, I can't say if it works better then the others suggested because I haven't used those others. As others suggested, use outside or in a very well vented area.

Allan

One of the best reducers that will thin almost anything is MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) It will strip paint off walls, remove sticky bonding agents, ect... As a guitar finisher we use this to reduce our Catalyzed Polyurethane (Lacquer) that we use to build an incredible durable finish on high-end guitars and mandolins. Pure Acetone and mineral spirits like Naptha are pretty good as well for certain applications but for a glue such as Goop this may be the way to go. Never used Goop myself I have no need and would just rather buy Flexament for the few uses I do use it for. Like the other stuff if you start to get a headache or see stars or start laughing uncontrollably or _______ you will start loosing braincells. Oh ya, alot of these burn really well too!
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Luckie, that is good advice about the fumes. If you check you will find all of this stuff has about the same BTU/lb. as dynamite. If sufficient fumes accumulate to reach the lower explosive limit (LEL) the results are about the same. Using it in well ventilated areas away from open flames is very important. I have investigated fires where the ignition source was static electricity.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Kelkay I make mine just like your talking about. I did just go on a buy the gallon as it was hard to find around me. I also have some MEK which I like a lot, but I use it for other things. I just keep my gallon out in the garage and then I draw up some and keep it in an empty jar that I cleaned out and had Softex in so I don't keep a lot where I am tying. I bought a box of oral syringes that I use for all my thinner needs and can use them over and over. I just make sure all is out that I can get out and let it dry. I also don't need it often because I took a Pt. Mason jar and put the goop in that and just added the the thinner in and let it sit for a couple days and I had good flex cement. I use the same syringes to take some out and fill little bottles I keep at my tying station.

I do all this to try my best to not get any on my skin and if I mess up I wash it asap.

Skip

All these formulas everyone is talking about are good for blowing things up but worse they are ALL carcinogenic. The more you deal with them and get them on your skin the greater chance there is for you to catch the big C! I have had two doses of Cancer myself and I don't care for any more of it. Some of it may have come from my mishandling of MEK, no one will ever know but it could have.

The problem with these carcinogens... all of them mentioned... is that all you have to do is allow it to touch your skin and it is in your body. No amount of washing will remove what has already entered. It's done! You can wash off what is still wet upon your skin, but what has touched has already entered. When I was using MEK I could taste it. Listen... if only ONE drop touched my fingers or hands, immediately it was tasted then the drop disappeared. I'll leave the mixing to the boys in the lab and purchase all of my glues.

This stuff is too serious to work with, it is life threatening. People, at least wear chemical gloves when you are dealing with this stuff. Please? I enjoy talking with all of you and I'd really like to have you around a long while! ! ! I'm sorry... I'm off my soapbox now...
    Michael

Try Aleene's Fabric Fusion instead?

I use toulelene for now, once i use the gallon up im swithing to mek, yeah I use that much..
    Last edited by sandfly; 05-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread