+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat wrapping Marabou question

Default Flat wrapping Marabou question

Friends:

I want to tie in Marabou along a hook so that it wraps evenly around the hook. Think dubbing. What is the propper technique to do this? If I split the thread and add the Marabou, I get a standing hackle type effect. What I want is to have the material slant back and each wrap to cover the previous one also stlanting towards the back. Like a minnow. I thught of using thin tape or applying glue to a flat floss like thread, but there must be a better way, and what better place to ask than here?

Thanks in advance amigos and amigas!

Migs

Migs,
    Have you tried tying it in, at the back of the hook, TWISTING the maraboo, then wrapping it up the hook towards the eye? Laid side by side wrapped, maybe smoothing the fibres back, so they don't get stuck in your next wrap, should give your fly a nice looking body. If it's too "fuzzy" twist it a bit more, or conversly, un twist if too smooth.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I tie a lot of marabou and I do the twist thing also and wrap tight. Like when tieing a damsel nympth imitation.

Just a small example...
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/100101fotw.html:117a8]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/100101fotw.html[/url:117a8]

Here is another example of twisted maribou used for a fly body on a maribou damsel.
    [url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v248/tyflier/Minimalist%20Swap/?action=view&current=maraboudamsel.jpg:ea534]http://photobucket.com/albums/v248/tyflier/Minimalist%20Swap/?action=view&current=maraboudamsel.jpg[/url:ea534]

You all are made out of Gold! I made it more complicated in my mind than it has to be.
    Thanks.

Migs

[This message has been edited by Migs (edited 23 March 2006).]

I tie a smaller Marabou nymph. I pull several bars off the feather, tie in with the tips forming a tail, attach ultra wire. Then I wrap the marabou up the hook and it forms a beautiful tapered body. Then I wrap the wire in the other direction up the hook. (sometimes stopping half way up the hook with both, tying in the wire then finish with the marabou, like a haresear without the wing case.)

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

My world is hooks 10 to 14, mostly at the smaller end. Nymphs, streamers etc. - All for lakes. I'm trying to make the most realistic minnow possible out of Marabou and Zonker or similar. I guess eventually Im going to have to try a Mylar tube body type fly. Sometimes I think the flies are becoming and end in themselves! Is this an addiction or what? -Migs

(I repeat my gratefulness for your answers

ALL on a size #32!
    WTG FG.
    ....lee s.

You got that right LOL

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

+ Reply to Thread