+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Painful experience...

Occassionally I smoke a pipe. It's interesting to me that cigarette smokers take all the heat. Most pipe smokers will tell you that they have complete strangers walk up to them with a big smile and tell them that the aroma reminds them of their dad or grandpa. I have yet to have anyone give me the evil eye or ask me to refrain from smoking my pipe. When I do smoke it usually when I am home alone and sitting on the back deck enjoying the birds at the feeder.

To me the smell of cigarettes is unpleasant and enough to keep me from going to venues that allow smoking.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

In 1986 I made a career change that took me from working in a office in my attic to working in an corporate environment. Back then everyone was allowed to smoke wherever in the corporate offices. One of the guys in the office smoke a pipe, I think he smoke Cherry Blend which has a very pleasant aroma to me. By 1991 smoking was allowed on the shipping docks and parking lot. The president of the Holiday Inn brand was prohibited from smoking the cigars he enjoyed in his own office. A good cigar also has a nice aroma to me but I have a good friend native of Utah who dearly hates to smell a cigar when he is out fishing. Part of it is he equates it with neo- trout fisherman trying to be too fashionable. If it were not for that awful morning after taste I would probably enjoy an occassional cigar when out waving the long rod.

I did a Google search on tobacco subsidies; according to http://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?f...ogcode=tobacco in 2008 & 2009 the US paid over $200 million in tobacco subsidies. I do not understand why every American citizen was required to contribute a dollar to the production of a plant whose use is being restricted and is known to contribute to the early death of many citizen every year.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I don't smoke. Never have. By Choice.

Smokers in the same environment that I am in take that choice away from me. I know that you could say that I don't have to enter those environments, but smokers don't have to smoke in those environments either.

"The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Smoking should be the same way. Even if you believe that Secondhand Smoke has no medical effect on the body...I shouldn't have to smell it, or choke on it, or have it in my hair and clothes, or have to subject my children to it. California (I know, on the Left Coast) enacted laws protecting me from those selfish people in public places, even in cars where children are present...Thanks California. I am not selfish in wanting smokers to go elsewhere...I just want to enjoy the same places without being forced to make their choices.

PS--I feel the same way about being force to listen to loud music, look at indecent behavior in public places, or anything else that i shouldn't have to leave to get away from it.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    If it were not for that awful morning after taste I would probably enjoy an occassional cigar when out waving the long rod.
    I have found that a few rinses of Biotene helps to reduce that next day taste.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Top ten tobacco producers in thousands of tonnes. Who would have thought the US would be forth. And that China grows 4 times the amount of the next country inline. 5 times the amount of the USA.

China 2,298.8
    India 595.4
    Brazil 520.7
    United States 408.2
    European Union 314.5
    Zimbabwe 204.9
    Turkey 193.9
    Indonesia 166.6
    Russia 116.8
    Malawi 108.0

Wonder what smoking laws are like in China?
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Wonder what smoking laws are like in China?
    I'm guessing its, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" something else is likely to kill you before lung cancer gets you. Which brought to mind a theory my dad had concerning tobacco and cancer. He always contended, even after he quit smoking unfiltered Camels, that it was the chemicals put on tobacco nowdays instead of the tobacco. Has there ever been a study done comparing Amish tobacco and regular commercial farmed tobacco by products?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

It's really scary seeing people smoke in the faces of their children, especially in the confines of a car! Heres everything(?) you ever wanted or not wanted to know about cigerettes!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...acco/cessation

Best regards, Dave Ex-Smoker Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishdog54 View Post
    It's really scary seeing people smoke in the faces of their children, especially in the confines of a car! Heres everything(?) you ever wanted or not wanted to know about cigerettes!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...acco/cessation

Best regards, Dave Ex-Smoker Extraordinaire
    My parents did that and I did it to my kids. It took years and a fresh coat of paint to knock the smell out of the house after my wife quit.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread