+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not to be controversial but........

Default Not to be controversial but........

What fly fishing products are still made in the USA? Cliff boxes are great, filson vests great, just a few other items besides some of the grea net makers. Any one know of a list of american make products? Many that were not longer are. Brodn nets are made in Costa Rica. Many classics are disappearing Not looking for argument, just a list if yoou have one. Thanks.
    Midstream

------------------
    I am haunted by Waters

Fly Logic, Global DorbeR, Scott

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Many contemporary bamboo rod makers are also in the U.S. Like Ron Kusse, for example.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Thomas and Thomas rods.
    Regal Vises

jed

I would agree that outsourcing is largely about corporations finding the cheapest source of labor possible, but then in many cases still charging premium prices for goods made overseas.

It's also been my experience that quality declines when goods formerly made in the U.S. are outsourced.

When I buy gear that I need to rely on... say hiking boots or waders or a fly rod... I try to search for stuff that's made by companies that put a premium on quality and craftsmanship. That often means these companies treat their workers fairly and set high standards as to the goods they produce.

For instance, I've had USA-made Buck knives for many years and they've neve failed me. They hold an edge extremely well, IMHO.

I've also had good experiences with St. Croix rods made in the U.S. (I realize they make a couple of their rods overseas now, but the ones I own are American made).

I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots made in the original plant in Italy. They're 15 years old, have about 2,000 miles on them and I've had them resoled twice after wearing the tread down to nothing. The boots are tough as nails and I expect to get another 1,000 miles out of them.

I can't say that for some of the other gear I've bought that fell apart during outdoor trips... like cheaper boots or raingear or the like.

Anyway, to answer the original question, here are a few American manufacturers of fly gear. These are only off the top of my head... there are quite a few U.S. makers out there:

Galvan reels
    Teton reels
    St. Croix rods (Avid, Ultra)
    Wulff fly lines
    All kinds of cane rods -- Thramer, McDowell, the new Grangers and LL Beans
    Simms waders
    Dyna-King vises
    Filson (the only Filson thing I have is a hat that's about 10 years old and just getting broken in)
    Carhartt -- I have a hooded nylon jacket that I waterproofed with silicon spray and it works great for flyfishing
    Leatherman tools -- These are made in Portland but some of the materials are from Canada or Mexico
    Kershaw knives
    Old Town canoes
    Mad River canoes
    Mohawk canoes

the list goes on...

------------------
    My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

All the flies I fish with are made in the US. In fact, right there in my house...

As of late, I have been adamant about buying things that are made here in the US. I just got a Filson strap vest and I love it.

It really is hard to be on a budget and buy American made products. And I am on strict budget by means of a low budgeted fly fishing lifestyle prescribed to me by my non-fly fishing wife.

Also, some of these places like Bangladesh and others where these products are made are absolutely terrible. These people work like slaves to make these cloths (and flyfishing gear) for pennies and then it is turned around and sold back to us for $$$$.

Go Figure>>>Hopefully something can be done down the road to bring down the prices of American made products.

McQueen,

I'm sympathetic to your point about U.S. goods often being pricey.

To some degree, we're paying more for goods in order that workers of those U.S. companies can make a living wage and have a higher quality of life than workers in, say, China, who may get paid extremely low wages.

I would also say that paying more for quality goods has a benefit in that the products usually last longer and you get your money's worth. You can pay half price for knock-off gear, but it's been my experience that this stuff often breaks or wears out quicker, requiring frequent replacement.

Purely from my own standpoint, I try to look at purchases and ask myself, 'does buying this thing promote American jobs and does it support a company that has a conscience?'

This isn't always possible... but it's something I like to try to do as often as I can.

I also ask myself, 'do I need this thing or can I live without it?'

Not always easy with fly geat but, in my case, I need to start doing more with less.

rjj

RJ

I think you are right on the money. Especially with learning to get by with less...there is always something I want when it comes to fly fishing. It's an adiction almost. My wife usually uses a frying pan to get this idea through my head.

Matt

Someone needs an economy lesson.

Keep in mind that coporations do not get to keep the money that is earned. It goes to the stock holders.

Plus, it is VERY difficult to get low wage employees in this country to do skilled labor. Yes, stitching bags is skilled. Thanks to several things, Unions among them, the US labor force has been forced to change over the last 30 years. Heck, you can earn $10.00 an hour at McDonalds in my area.

Most of the goods we use everyday come from overseas, or parts of them are manufactured overseas. Most of the computer software we use every day is written outside of the US. And it goes on.....

Yes, I buy American when it makes sense. But.... if there is a widget that an American compan makes that sells for $10.00 and a Chinese one for $5.00, guess which one I'll buy. That way, I can spend that other $5.00 on something else that will help our economy.

By the way, noticed the unemployement rate lately?

+ Reply to Thread