+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping Basket

Default Stripping Basket

Hi
    Need yuor opinion. Last year I used an Orvis stripping basket for the first time (in the Bay from a boat) and was surprised how much it helped me get the line out (not wrapped up around my feet)! My question how does the William Joseph basket compare -- it might be easier to transport. Thanks Dave

I find mesh baskets like the William Joseph to be inferior to rigid designs with spikes or cones in the bottom. The sides collapse in when bumped on something, like a boat gunwale or seat, which can lead to the line being turned over on itself, which in turn can lead to tangles. The lack of spikes or cones compounds this problem.

What is your travel issue? I have traveled with baskets like the Orvis before without issue. I just pack into my duffel with my clothing.

I have used most of the commercially made stripping baskets that are available, and many home made units, but by far, the best that I have used is the Mangrove "Hip-shooter". It is made from very durable high density foam and designed to be worn on the side, low on the hip. It usually takes a little experimentation to find the height it works for best for you. I use an old wading belt fairly loosely so the basket hangs low gunslinger style. It can be worn on the front if desired. The bottom has a combination of short thick, and tall skinny spikes that are the best system I have yet encountered for preventing tangles. You supply the belt. The basket has a foam covered metal clip that can be switched to either side. The clip slips over a belt. This allows for quick removal or attachment. When fishing from a boat, I will usually have line stripped into the bottom with the basket sitting on the deck when moving from place to place. Just pick up the basket, attach to belt, and cast. If in a hurry just cast with the basket on the deck. If you hook a fish that gets into your backing, you can lift the basket off of your belt and set it down or hand it to your buddy to put out of the way. The foam gives a little when you bump into something but does not collapse. The bottom and the spikes come out and the basket folds up flat for travel. The high back and low front help the angler guide the line into the basket - you may hit your hand on the back which tells you to release the line so you do not need to look. With a little practice you will get used to the position and likely not hit the back. The basket also works as a rod holder. There is a hole in the back that you can place your rod butt into. The reel goes into the basket and the rod just in front of the grip rests on the front rim. The standard bottom has holes. The optional "boat" bottom is solid so you can hold a little water in the basket to lubricate the line, which also helps prevent tangles. The local fly shops have trouble keeping these in stock.

When fishing from a boat I much prefer tall rigid bucket with a weighted , solid bottom and spikes such as the Pro-Trim Fly Line Tamer, the "Bucket" from Sea Level Fly Fishing, or the Pleskunas VLMD, however the Hip Shooter works very well and I have used it in many boats where the bucket option does not work well due to the configuration of the boat.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 05-15-2011 at 03:10 AM.

I agree with tailing loop. I have one and it has worked really well.

Beaver

TL
    Thanks
    Dave

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I use a foldable basket most of the time as it lends itself to traveling to and from the stream. I got a piece of flat sheet plastic, added weed whip loops to it and cut it to fit inside my folding basket once opened. Works great! Other than that I copied the Hip Shooter with a $4 trash can and added a belt and it does work fine but is klunky to travel with. My favorite rigid basket is another homemade one, a bit bigger and can either be belted to my wasit or set in the floor on my Outcast PowerPac again it has the weed whip looks in the bottom and works great.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

The spikes Tailing loop talks about avoid the line from getting all tangled. I owned one of those WJ baskets but it was a pain, I even tried to modify it but after several failed attempts I just decided to make my own (for about $ 15) and I'm very happy with it.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 05-16-2011 at 01:50 AM.
    I believe I can fly fish

We would certainly welcome an article with instructions (photos too) on building your own striping basket - providing of course it works *S*
    The late JC built a couple, one from a plastic dishpan with nipples from the local farm store used to feed orphan calves which unfortunately was too heavy to wear comfortably 'tho the concept 'sounded' really good. What have you done that worked?
    No don't put it here, send it to our Editor: NEILMTRV@aol.com

I used "wire nuts' for the cones on my last basket
    I've posted the procedure and photos on these pages a couple of time in the past, if anyone want's to "search"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

9. Default

I own and have used all of the above and they all have their advantages except the WJ which I don't care for. For travel I prefer the hip shooter over the Orvis although the Orvis is a good unit. For the boat, I prefer the Fiskars leaf bag over the line tamer because it folds up, stows easily in forward hatch and you always have when the wind kicks up. Functionally, the line tamer is a great design, but is a pain to stow.

Got a WJ stripping basket at one of the first Florida Fish-Ins from Mike F & it's still about as new as the day I got it. For walking the beach it serves it's purpose well. Lightweight, has room for towel, pliers & other tools; lets the air thru & doubles as an extra hand by just collapsing it in when the fly rod has to be put down to change flies, get a drink or release a fish without getting the reel covered in sand. Fits over the back of boat seats if you don't want to wear it & easy to rinse off plus dries quick.
    Last edited by saltydancindave; 06-06-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: &

+ Reply to Thread