+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Approaches to casting

I think I subconciously alter my stroke based on what I'm trying to accomplish and the type of rod. I know that I look like a monkey and a football with an 8 weight and I fistfight with 3-4 weights. I am really in the groove with a 6 weight.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

grrfish1,

Thank you very much for your kind offer. I will be getting out to visit and fish with a number of good fishermen soon. I will see what I can glean from them! I will keep your offer in mind as a back-up plan! Also - thank you for sharing your skills with others!

Best regards, Dave S.

Quote Originally Posted by qrrfish1 View Post
    If your willing to take a chance at learning, I'll be glad to help you teach yourself the double haul. There is no cost to my offer other than when you learn pass it on. I've worked with a number of people over the internet both in the U.S. and other country's were English was a second language to them and we over came that too. My bet is you understand far more than you may think you do already all I'm offering is to help you use what you already know.
    Always up for a lesson, lets here it qrrfish !
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Always up for a lesson, lets here it qrrfish !
    Do you have a particular issue with the double haul you would like some help or insights with? I've come to appreciate the truth that each person develops their own understanding of how they are going to apply the dynamics of the double haul and all forms of loop control for themselves. What I try to do is help people find the answers they themselves may not be aware are already within their own knowledge base and refine them to their purpose. When I chose to work with somebody across the internet its sort of like your reading a book on a subject. But in this case you can ask the author to explain what they meant and in turn the author asks you questions to help complete the picture they can't see. A teacher can teach a thousand ways, a student learns only once.
    Last edited by qrrfish1; 05-15-2011 at 04:07 AM. Reason: spelling
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

While a dble haul may be used as a crutch to compensate for poor casting simply put no matter how you cast, adding a double haul adds distance. For some, 50' is sufficent for others not. While it generally works for me in fresh water, in the salt, with the wind and desire to be able to cast better 50' casts doesn't cut it.

My generalization is that there is no standard. Being able to cast in the situation you find yourself is what you need.
    Yesterday I fished and did not need to cast more than 20', I was nymphing. Next week I'll be in the boundary waters and every inch of casting will come in handy.

jed

Do you have a particular issue with the double haul you would like some help or insights with? I've come to appreciate the truth that each person develops their own understanding of how they are going to apply the dynamics of the double haul and all forms of loop control for themselves. What I try to do is help people find the answers they themselves may not be aware are already within their own knowledge base and refine them to their purpose. When I chose to work with somebody across the internet its sort of like your reading a book on a subject. But in this case you can ask the author to explain what they meant and in turn the author asks you questions to help complete the picture they can't see. A teacher can teach a thousand ways, a student learns only once.
    I have no particular issue with the double haul myself, or so I think, you just made it sound like something easy that you could pass on a tidbit or two here, rather simply, a good thing ... not that the double haul if very hard once practiced and learned,
    but it can be bit intimidating at first, like riding a bike once learned you got it...

Your words most certainly are those of encouragement, a very good thing...
    anyway qrrfish1, forget it sorry I asked.......

Be safe

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    I have no particular issue with the double haul myself, or so I think, you just made is sound like something easy that you could pass on here rather simply, a good thing ... not that the double haul if very hard once practiced and learned,
    but it can be bit intimidating at first, like riding a bike once learned you got it...
    anyway qrrfish1, forget it sorry I asked.......

Be safe

Steve
    Steve you seem to have misunderstood what I do, with Casting Instructors, not an uncommon situation with people unfamiliar with my techniques and philosophy. I work with a person and see them as an individual who hears what they hear and interprets what I say in the way it relates to them. If what I say doesn't work for the individual then it needs to be presented differently until the student displays clear comprehension of the thought. Everyone learns differently. While concepts can be universal, physics bends to no one, how we relate to that truth is subject to what each person brings to the circumstance. When I work with a person I have to consider every aspect of the situation to include language skills, physical ability, depth of preexisting knowledge, conceptions and motivation. When you add in equipment and environmental factors there's a lot of judgment calls to be made. I can't speak for others but personally I've never met anyone exactly like me so I have to ask each one I work with how do you need to learn.

I can appreciate your thoughts , reminds me of the Montessori teaching method, a very good thing...

Right on point you are!

Steve

ps: glad I asked you!
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 05-15-2011 at 09:06 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

No harm done, trust me I'm long past expecting people to easily understand what I do or how I do it. For years I worked with people threw the chat room on this site, only once did I make the mistake of trying to do so in open chat. Befor then and always after that it was private chat or emails. I would never allow another person to be exposed to public scrutiny of thoughts and questions in an open chat room or bullitan board. I will say, that once you have taken a person from never having thrown a fly rod to them sending you pictures of the fish they have taken on a fly, without ever having met them face to face. Its both a thrill and a satisfaction that is hard to top.

No harm done, trust me I'm long past expecting people to easily understand what I do or how I do it. For years I worked with people threw the chat room on this site, only once did I make the mistake of trying to do so in open chat. Befor then and always after that it was private chat or emails. I would never allow another person to be exposed to public scrutiny of thoughts and questions in an open chat room or bullitan board. I will say, that once you have taken a person from never having thrown a fly rod to them sending you pictures of the fish they have taken on a fly, without ever having met them face to face. Its both a thrill and a satisfaction that is hard to top.
    Very classy

+ Reply to Thread