+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A different furled leader question

Default A different furled leader question

I fish a lot of creeks where I'm usually casting directly upstream, or nearly so. I've shied away from non-mono leaders in these situations, especially the braided ones. Aside from the water spray, they just seem to look like hawsers on the water; not a concern on bigger water, but I don't trust them floating over a trout's cute little head. Now, the thread furled leaders that I recently acquired seem to be pretty thin out near the end. Do you think they are practical for my specific needs, or should I just stay with mono leaders on these water? Thanks for your opinions.

Chuck

I've use a thread furled leader in that type of situation without spooking the fish. I usually have a 6 to 7 foot tippet attached to the furled leader. I've actually had a couple of trout come over an inspect the leader to see if it were edible.

I fish small streams casting directly uptream. I choose a furled leader for this situation because they unroll so well and I can make more delicate presentions. I can hook a cast so just the last 20" hooks around downstream and presents the fly before the leader. I can throw mends with just the leader and adjust my drfts.

I don't have problems with spray. (I use 6/0 UNI thread, greased with paste floatant) I usually use a stepped mono tippet of about 30". 8"-2X, 8"-4X, 16"-6x.

Blog Entries

Darrell Martin in "Micropatterns" brings up the point that its not so much "how much leader" as "how much tippet". I tend to agree, the longer tippet keeps the leader out of the fish's little window.

Furled leaders are outstanding here in that they can turn over a comparitively large amount of tippet.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:ead7f]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:ead7f]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Chuck

Do most of you, like kengore, step down to the tippet, or do you just attach a full-length piece of fine mono tippet?

Chuck

Usually, four feet or a bit less of 5X tippet works well for me and the size flies I use.

Kat

+ Reply to Thread