+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hats-more than just a stylish "cover"

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well.........I always have and always do wear a hat when I'm outdoors... Ball Caps, with or without someones logo, cowboy hat, filson full brim oilcloth, cotton full brim fedora, a couple of straw full brim hats, a nice camo Ducks Unlimited number my brother gave me, and a peruvian llama wool fedora I've had for 30+ years, going back to when they had to be smuggled into the country......Hats is cool ....ModocDan

I have never been a hat wearer. but in recent years I have started to wear one when i will be in the sun for extended times. I tried lots of hats on and never found one that I liked, in fact i think i posted here a couple times looking for suggestions. I finally found two that worked for me. One is an Australian Outback hat made of kangaroo leather and the other is a Tilley LTM6 Airflo. I love the Tilley, it feels like it was made for me head.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I try to avoid exposure to the sun as much as I can. Long sleeve shirts and wide brimmed hats are my fishing uniform in warm weather. My Tilley Airflow hat is comfortable and durable, but my genuine Panama hat, which is actually made in Cuenca, Ecuador is more comfortable in really hot weather.

Blog Entries

Another LTM6 owner here. My wife's family is prone to skin cancer, so I started wearing one mostly to set a good example for the kids. I wear my Tilley in the summer, and an insulated Filson with ear flaps in the winter. I will always have a Filson. Another big plus it that it floats!
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by modocdan View Post
    Well.........I always have and always do wear a hat when I'm outdoors... Ball Caps, with or without someones logo, cowboy hat, filson full brim oilcloth, cotton full brim fedora, a couple of straw full brim hats, a nice camo Ducks Unlimited number my brother gave me, and a peruvian llama wool fedora I've had for 30+ years, going back to when they had to be smuggled into the country......Hats is cool ....ModocDan
    If I'm not wearing a hat, or at least have it in my hand when indoors, people don't know who I am and the Guard Poodle barks at me.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Got my Tilley from my wife for birthday few years back. Absolutely love it. I'm thinking about buying another one to use as my "Sunday best" since the fishing one shows few years of use...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Coached baseball for 11 years from T-ball to high school; I have enough hats to last me a long time.

Regards,
    Scott

Another vote for the Tilley hat and the Buff I wouldn't trade either of them.
    I bought two Buffs each for my wife and I.
    Wife loves hers, so many ways to wear it.....

The Tilley is expensive compared to crap fro China but you only have to buy it once.
    It's a Hat for life.....wear it out and take it back for a new one.

DuFf

Wanted to mention the Tilly goes through the washing machine like it was made for it. Comes out just beautiful. *S* Trav almost always wears a hat but he is wearing a Tilly occasionally now too! A convert!

I've had skin cancer and I can tell you that a Tilley hat is a lot cheaper way to go. I don't wear one myself, but my dermatologist recommended that I wear a Tilley hat - and he specifically mentioned them by name.

What I do wear though is sunscreen, and LOTS of it. I'm out in the hot summer sun almost every day all summer, and I wouldn't want to do that without some tyoe of protection from the sun - in my case it's SPF 50 by the bucketfull.

+ Reply to Thread