+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Search of the Holy Grail

Dry Fly- HW Rio Grande King (imitates midges, caddis , stoneflies and terrestrials)

Nymph- Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear ( can be tied to fish #28 trike nymphs, all the mayfly, caddis, stoneflies, dragonflies and damselflies, craneflies, you name it. Grease it and it's an emerger.)

Streamer- Olive Grizzly Matuka ( the color matches most stream bottoms, the grizzly: parr marks, it's non fouling and the action is great with a hackle collar.)

When all fails I pull out a size #10 Marabou Wing Royal Coachman, it's the only wet fly style that I use. I love the action of the wing and the construction is just plain buggy.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

If I want to see if the fish are at all interested in a dry fly, I'd go with a CDC & Elk; if I had to catch a fish on threat of death I'd fish a bugger (and probably trail a bead-head, Zebra Midge or IPW behind it).

Regards,
    Scott

I always have a Prince Nymph of standard or different modifications (flashback, rubber tail/wing/legs, sz. 8-18, ect...) but I typically fish a PT under it too!!!

Stimulator, what else, it helps to stimulate the fish. Can imitate so many different bugs with size and color differences.

Skulpzilla, ya that one's fun! Hard to beat an Olive Bugger though.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Since I hardly ever fish a dry fly, I would have to stick with a Flymph which can be tied with any color body you wish plus swing wet flies and follow up with some sort of bugger in sizes 10 and 12. These would be my "go to" flies if you are referring to trout fishing.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

One fly?

Semi seal leech.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    Stimulator size 16. Because it doesn't need a hatch to be seen by fish on any river that has a population of stone flies. So you can use it mid day, evening, hatch, no hatch, spring, summer.

Steve
    This. This fly exactly, in this size, for those reasons.

I was thinking this before I even got to Steve's response.

Probably in yellow/orange coloration, but any combination of yellow, orange, green, olive, black, red, peacock, grey, or red will do.

It works in no hatch, as stones, caddis, hoppers, fluttering mayflies of any type in any size within one of the chosen fly, and I've even used it as an impromptu wet fly, to swing past a fish.

It's also highly visible to the angler, in any condition, and will float without a big ugly footprint on slow pools, but won't get drowned by any water you can wade through.

All white Clouser minnow. Works for everything from panfish to tuna. An a few permanent markers in different colors to go with it.

Tried and true, one fly, nothing else is working....

San Juan Worm. Generations of farm boys have been fishing worms for trout...there's a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Wulff View Post
    The site poled a number of guides, authors, and people in the trade and then published the results in three articles, Dry Flies, Streamers, and Nymphs. The top fly in each category was as follows: Dry - Parachute Adams; Streamer - Wooly Bugger; and Nymph - Standard Pheasant Tail.

My question to the forum is, "What is the one fly you would never leave home without to insure you wouldn't get skunked?"
    My question for Grizzly is what was the intent of the question? Is it the original question, "What is the most effective fly in each of the three categories", as in the original question OR is it to ask, "What other flies are good?" I assumed it was pick out the three flies in each category that you would take anywhere not knowing where you would be fishing. Some replies answered the second question.

For example, when one says a #16 stimulator in a river that has stoneflies, I don't think the poster is saying get rid of the parachute adams and take a stimulator instead because it will out fish a parachute adams in all waters. His response was conditional on the water type with stone flies.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I also have to agree with the Stimulator. I prefer either orange or yellow. It can be used in slow water, white water, and I find it is deadly fished in pocket water. Interesting concept is using it as a wet....I'll have to try that. Second favorite is an Ausable Wulff....especially the ones tied by Fran Betters himself. They seen to float a little better than the others. I have about a dozen of those left. I better put a couple away for safe keeping.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

+ Reply to Thread