+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two really basic questions

Question Two really basic questions

With mayflies having smooth, segmented abdomens why are so many flies tied with fuzzy dubbing?
    And, if a rough textured body is desired, why aren't different types of yard used? With yarn textures ranging from coarse mohair to angora to finely separated punch embroidery yarn you have quite a choice.

Ray, "fuzzy" dubbing is often used for 2 reasons.

1: dubbing materials such as beaver, muskrat & most poly's have naturally bouyant properties, by both their natural makeup and by the more loose fibers trapping air.

2: Many prefer the "impressionistic" footprint in the surface film over the more defined bodies of a smooth or replicated body.

Most any yarn or fiber can be used for mayfly bodies. some absorb water and sink more readily than others however. Most antrons and wools are much heavier and absorb water for a faster sink rate than poly's and some fur dubbing, making them better suited for nymph or wetfly applications.
    Last edited by NJTroutbum; 05-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    With mayflies having smooth, segmented abdomens why are so many flies tied with fuzzy dubbing?
    That's why I've switched to biots for just about all of my mayfly dries; i'll use dubbing for the thorax sometimes, but I prefer the effect the biot provides (and they float just fine), and the fishies seem to like them as well.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

And, if a rough textured body is desired, why aren't different types of yard used? With yarn textures ranging from coarse mohair to angora to finely separated punch embroidery yarn you have quite a choice.
    It depends on whether you are talking about nymphs or duns (the adults). Mayfly nymphs usually have tiny gills which give them a fuzzy look.

Dry flies with dubbing materials:
    1. Are water resistant which helps them keep from sinking
    2. When wet are not very fuzzy.

Those are my thoughts, anyway,
    Byron

"the more loose fibers trapping air"

IMO, trout don't tend to eat mature duns as readily as they eat emergers. Often I have seen adults float serenely downstream and fly off while there are dimples all around where fish have taken flies as they try to get out of the shuck - half in and half out of the water. IMO trout are attracted by the emerger’s wink and bubble on/near the surface, but the adult doesn't create such an impression because only its legs are touching the surface. Dry flies whose dubbed (and air trapping) bodies settle in the surface film look more like emergers or cripples and are better targets for efficient trout.

Hi Ray,

You are anthropomorphizing the trout, that is, you are assuming what would be important to you is actually important to them.

Trout have lousy eyesight, about 1/14 of human's ability to see fine detail. Trout retina do not have a macula for fine vision so they can't see whether the actual body is fuzzy or not. Secondly, if trout can't see the fuzzy body OR if the fuzzy body is so faintly seen, then it really can't be something prominent that the fish looks for to distinguish real from fake.

Can you tell if the body is fuzzy or smooth from the photo above? The trout can't either.

However trout see motion very well. So they can detect drag.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

In regards to nymphs (which have gills protruding from the abdomen), I disagree to some extent. They have a better and closer look at the imitation. Their vision is better underwater than it is trying to see outside the medium they live in. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    "the more loose fibers trapping air"

IMO, trout don't tend to eat mature duns as readily as they eat emergers. Often I have seen adults float serenely downstream and fly off while there are dimples all around where fish have taken flies as they try to get out of the shuck - half in and half out of the water. IMO trout are attracted by the emerger’s wink and bubble on/near the surface, but the adult doesn't create such an impression because only its legs are touching the surface. Dry flies whose dubbed (and air trapping) bodies settle in the surface film look more like emergers or cripples and are better targets for efficient trout.
    Greg - I'm buying what your selling - good observation!

Ray - Don't confuse me with the facts! LOL!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Dubbed or other fuzzy bodies (peacock, turkey rounds, even pheasant tail fibers) also suggest fine movement and with differences in how the light plays off of it can make monochrome materials look multihued --nothing in nature is monochrome, and mayflies and caddis have a lot of fine movement, mayflies when getting out of their shucks and caddis pretty much all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    In regards to nymphs (which have gills protruding from the abdomen), I disagree to some extent. They have a better and closer look at the imitation. Their vision is better underwater than it is trying to see outside the medium they live in. IMHO

I think you are correct to an extent on both points.

Underwater, the rounder shape of the lens in the fish compared to the more disk shaped lens in the human eye allows the fish to nearly have an infinite depth of field. So virtually everything is in focus. But they still have the problem of visual acuity. They also have the same problem under water as on top with respect to flow rates. Faster flows means a shorter period of observation and the need for a faster decision whether to take or refuse.

I think fuzz on a nymph serves two purpose. One is the part you are also referring to, and that is that the real nymphs are fuzzy so appearance and gill motion is a factor.

But I think what we often forget is the other part that fuzz plays. What is forgotten is that if the real nymph is fuzzy, that fuzz affects how the water currents catch the fuzzy body and will affect the drift of the nymph. A smooth bodied nymphs drift more slowly than the real thing and will react less to conflicting currents. So a fuzzy nymph not only looks more real but it acts also acts more real.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread