+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mother's Day Caddis

Default Mother's Day Caddis

The Mother's Day Caddis hatch is just a few days away now. Two warm days and there they'll be.

I'll post some more about this fly soon enough. I figured out how to shape the wing into a more anatomically
    accurate, semi-triangular tent shape last night. Tried it this moroning and it worked like a charm. I like the way this (the above) dark duck flank wing works for photographic purposes. But in practice I make these flies with a white or light gray (mallard flank or Zelon) wing tuft, which does make them easier to see. These flies sit so flat to the water (like the real bugs) they are hard to spot without a light colored wing. They do float like champions. And fish do like them.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    The Mother's Day Caddis hatch is just a few days away now. Two warm days and there they'll be.

I'll post some more about this fly soon enough. I figured out how to shape the wing into a more anatomically
    accurate, semi-triangular tent shape last night. Tried it this moroning and it worked like a charm. I like the way this (the above) dark duck flank wing works for photographic purposes. But in practice I make these flies with a white or light gray (mallard flank or Zelon) wing tuft, which does make them easier to see. These flies sit so flat to the water (like the real bugs) they are hard to spot without a light colored wing. They do float like champions. And fish do like them.
    Is the Mother's Day Hatch and Grannom Hatch the same thing?

Yep, although I think of the Mother's Day hatch as a western version. Saw some this past Sunday up in Thurmont, MD.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread