+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Idaho trip question

Default Northern Idaho trip question

Well, my wife surprised me with a homecoming of sorts for my 30th birthday. I lived in the Panhandle of Idaho, Sandpoint to be exact, until age 10 and then along with my brother, sister and the two decision makers of the household, moved back east to Pennsylvania, where My dad had work. Knowing that I haven't been back in about 16 years, and that I have been really wanting to for about 5 or 6, my wife surprised me with a trip "home". My base camp will be in Sandpoint Idaho, where I will stay with my aunt, uncle and cousin. From there I plan on doing some fishing. I'm not sure on exact itinerary just yet, I only recieved the gift last night and have many phone calls to make and internet hours to log. I am hoping to make a day or two trip to montana while I am out there as well as find some mountain type fishing with native fish, kinda like my beloved brookies out here. So here's the question for anyone who may know. What should I bring that an eastern states fly fisher might not have, or may not think of. Any particular places to fish? What time of year is best? Any thing else you think I should know.

Thanks
    Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

I spent 7 1/2 years in North Idaho before relocating to Fresno, CA and I still consider the North Fork of the Coeur d'Alene my home water. The Sandpoint area is not as well known for it's fly fishing as the other areas of the panhandle but if you look hard enough you can find good water. On the last trip I took in the fall I fished the Kootenai River out of Troy, Montana with a good friend who used to own Kootenai River Outfitters. Check into a guided trip down the Kootenai. Don't forget the St. Joe or the Kelly Creek drainages for Westslope Cutthroat.

Best Fishes,

Rev Rob

You might try this site [url=http://www.westfly.com/id:2aa5b]www.westfly.com/id[/url:2aa5b] they have some preaty good info there as far as the water and hatches and what flys to use

Fishn' Fool,
    I would definately recomend [url=http://www.westfly.com:b07c8]www.westfly.com[/url:b07c8] Theres a man on their, handle name is chromer, who is an expert in this area. He is always offering people the chance to go fishing, you might check that out. I live in Clark Fork, which is about 30 miles form sandpoint. You could try to fish the Clark Fork River, as they are starting to jump more, and beadheads seem to be working good. You could e-mail me when your coming out, and maybe we could get to gether. Good Luck
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

fisn' fool;
    If you want to hit some of the mountain stream many of the passes won't be open until mid July.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Jack, July is when I'm thinking of coming so that may work out well.

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

7. Default

We fish the Coeur D'Alene and other northern Idaho rivers all summer. This year there is a lot of snow, so July all of the Panhandle streams should be coming into great shape.
    Take your BWOs, PMDs, matching Quigley Cripples and a few Club Sandwiches for a major change-up. We've never found that we have to dredge, use droppers or indicators to catch some very nice westslope cutthroats.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

i'm from PA and went to spokane last summer. decided to fish ID for a day. i went to a local shop and he advised i try the st joes or CDA. i looked at a map and hit the north fork CDA. i had a blast catching west slope cuts. all i used were tan caddis and a red humpy. i landed 25 - 30 fish in about 4 hrs that were about 12" average. i'm sure i could of caught some larger fish if i went with nymphs but it was too much fun with the dries. and i did not see another angler.

Will you guys please quite telling people how good the fishing is on the CDA ~~ it stinks. The fish (if you can find any) are small and weak. Go to Sandpoint and the Clark's Fork or the Kootenai in Montana, avoid the CDA like the plague.

RR, you wouldn't be trying to keep all the good fish for yourself, now would you?

+ Reply to Thread