+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gorilla Glue

Default Gorilla Glue

I have some just sitting around and have seen some flies that use it. Like egss, and ants, How are these flies made?

I dab a drop on the hook shank for each segment , for instance with a ant.
    The glue will start to set and really makes it very easy to mold with your fingers
    into any shape you want.. Let it set for a minute to become flexible first..

Once it is bone dry you can cut to suit as well.. Like shaping the head on a bass fly.

For an ant pattern I prefer to mold it before it sets, two tiny drops with a thread dubbed center looks neat.

Makes a mean caddis case..... for a peeking caddis

Paintable as well...

You can really let your imagination wonder..
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 04-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

This would be the GG equivalent of super glue - white stuff.

Here are a couple of links to show you how to use the Gorilla glue to make bodies for flies.

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how...orilla-fly-tie

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-us...-lures-192739/

Gorilla glue is completely different than super glue or CA. You use water to activate Gorilla glue which then foams up expanding to 3 or 4 times it previous size. It traps tiny air bubble in the glue which make the bulk of the body and helps the flies float. I use the whit egorilla glue for flies since it remains white and take markers very well.

Good luck and I hope that this helps.

Jim Smith

Right you are James, and the videos are a great addition. I use the WHITE for ants. BUT, to put them on the hook really doesn't work all the well unless you have a wheel, as it does take a little while for this stuff to set up. I like the drop of water on wax paper idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Right you are James, and the videos are a great addition. I use the WHITE for ants. BUT, to put them on the hook really doesn't work all the well unless you have a wheel, as it does take a little while for this stuff to set up. I like the drop of water on wax paper idea.
    If it takes a long time to set up you are not using the fast cure. The fast cure sets up to quick for me to mix up more that one fly. As in the video I mix on wax paper. I also use a Nor-Vise which makes spinning the hook real easy. It also makes for a better shape. Just put a small dab for the head of an ant. Make sure you do not put on to much or it will cover the eye. Once it sets up I leave to dry over night.

Mike P.

put a small dab of acrylic paint in with the glue, it has water in it so it acts as a catalist and colors the glue at the same time.
    i put my hooks in a gator clip with a nail in it and put it in my fly turner.

+ Reply to Thread