+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's on wading staffs and fly boxes

Thanks all, keep any comments coming! I usually find I do better buying an item like the staff instead of trying to make one. I need all the help I can get!
    Mike

My dad now has my Folstaf. Not because I don't want it, but because he thinks it is his. His short term memory is in decline due to Alzhiemer. I don't have the heart to tell him it's not his. I have since replaced it a few years back with the Simms wading staff. My local fs does not carry Folstaff and I need a wading staff for an upcoming family fishing trip. Like the Folstaf the Simms is compact and quickly deploys. They are both light weight. Both giving you some sizing options with Folstaf including additional selection with tube diameter. Either staff will serve you well.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

The Folstaff is pretty nice and works well most of the time. On very uneven bottoms with lots of big rocks and boulders a multi segment staff may not be the way to go. A few years back I stayed at a lodge that guided California's Pit river among others. The lodge proprieter said that over the years that river had killed a good number of Folstaffs and similar segmented staffs. Primarily the failures came when someone took a fall and either landed on them and bent them or they bend under the weight of the use while the tip was wedged into the rocks and then could not be rassembled due to the bend.

Their recommendation was to use aluminum (not carbon fiber) ski poles. They are cheap during spring closeouts, often have thicker walls than segmented staff and if bent a bit can still be used.

I got my last two for $15 for the pair at an end of season sale. A lot of places have poles on sale now.

I like my staff handle to be at chest height or slightly higher when standing on level ground. If it is too short and the tip goes into a hole or crevice I will still have enough length to provide support unless he hole is more than a couple of feet deep.

The Folstaff and similar staffs do work well under most condition.

I have adjustable walking stick from Walmart. It looks like a ski pole. I wade a lot in mud and swamp so this works much better than the fold-able staff and it's strong enough to be layed down between two clumps of grass and used a "pull me out of the mud-hole i'm stuck in" aid. . It also had a little spring on it allowing it to slightly compress under load...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Got the wading staff from Orvis a couple of years ago. Comes with holster. Would not be without it. I don't think there is much difference between it and a Folstaff from what I can see. Either one would be good and a whole lot better than none at all. There is a warranty on the bungee holding it all together.

I'm cheap and tried them all including a spruce limb that I found floating down the Gallatin River. I now use it as a walking stick. My daughter bought me a Simms staff two years ago. The Simms staff is worth the money spent. Much stronger than the Folstaff, probably the most important aspect of a staff. Very easy to deploy. I can't say enough about the quality of the Simms staff.

My wife, myself and our daughter, all use Fol-Staffs. They may be spendy, but our lives are worth it. I have been saved by my Fol-Staff more times than I can count.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

had to say no to Folstaff: tried 5 in the store, and not one would come apart with ordinary effort from a lady. each one stuck hard in one section (never the same one). the salesperson said, "Well, it'll get looser over time." that didn't sound good either. Simms makes one i use, trust, and depend on.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

There is also this one that I and a friend have had for about 9 years without problems. http://www.dorber.com/wading.html and the price is right. Never has bent or become loose/wiggly.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    had to say no to Folstaff: tried 5 in the store, and not one would come apart with ordinary effort from a lady. each one stuck hard in one section (never the same one). the salesperson said, "Well, it'll get looser over time." that didn't sound good either. Simms makes one i use, trust, and depend on.
    Casey,
    Are you SURE those were Folstafs (or maybe copies)? If so, they were either damaged or loaded with dirt. Simms also makes a fine staff, but Folstaf is the industry leader & deservedly so.
    Bottom line is that Folstaf & Simms have their loyal customers. I can only speak first hand about the Folstaf, but Simms is also highly regarded. A purchase of either one of those would (IMHO) be a positive move.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread