+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on beginner flyrods

gerry,

kbproctor's last sentence is spot on - I have a couple of Eagle Claw graphite rods gotten from Walmart that were so inexpensive, I am embarrassed to say how little I payed for them. 5/6 wt that not only looks nice, but fishes VERY well indeed. The components are half-way decent also. These rods will fish circles around anything I had available when I started fly fishing. Good luck! Btw: Welcome to FAOL from a Pennsyltuckian!! If you need more info on the specific rod I'm referring to, feel free to PM me.

Best regards, Dave S.

Blog Entries

The Ross "Essence" rods are very good beginner's rods also and Cabelas now carries them. Even the lower end Sage rods are excellent and made in USA. They come in around 200.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Gerry,

Welcome A-Board...

If I was trying to keep it to the " under two hundred dollar mark " and was starting out after a long layoff, I'd probably take a look at some of the Medium Fast rods out there. The feel of those rods may seem more familiar to you. Two that come to mind are the Echo Carbon and the Temple Fork Outfitters Professional series ( $169 and $149 respectively ), both being available in five and six weights. The Carbon comes with a rod case, the Professional doesn't, so in my book the price difference is a wash. I'd lean towards a four piece, 9' - five weight.

Best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 04-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scientific...g-Kit/11186162

After the demo by Castwell a few years ago, I bought one of these and haven't regretted it. You spool up your current reel with a different line, perhaps a dual-taper, and so have an extra reel to be ussed under different circumstances.
    The great thing about the current state of the art is that almost any rod is better than most of the rods from 20 years ago and many lower-priced rods a very acceptable.

Ed

gerry, welcome to FAOL, great folks and great advice. I tend to agree with DaveE on the Temple Fork Outfitters rod, they are good quality and reasonably priced. You said your local FS was going out of business, check for a Bass Pro Shop or Cabelas in your area, they have fly is the stores. Good luck and keep us in the loop, John.

The Fly Shop has bought the remaining inventory of The Gary Borger Targus Fly rods. I personally own the Pro Series fly rods in 4 to 9 wt and the Light Touch fly rods in 3 to 5 weights.

They are now on sale for less than the discount price I got from Gary and Targus. IMHO, there are the best buy out there. The rods come with a spare tip. Unless you need a 9 foot fly rod, I recommend the 8.5 ft, 5 wt light touch rod. The rods originally retailed for $300 but now sells for under $120. Unfortunately the Pro Series is sold out in 5 wt.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/index.php?cPath=23_752
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

A little late to the party, but here's my two cents. Buy a 5wt Clearwater combo. Use the orange line until you get the hang of casting again. Cut it off and then use it as a spare. Replace with a new quality line and your set for a good while.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Beginner? I'd think more like under $50!
    I got my girls Cabelas? Bass Pro? Orvis? Streamlight rods and after I break my expensive 4wt rods I always go back to them as a back ups. I think I got them on closeout for like $20?? I wouldn't buy anything over $100 on a beginner until they showed continued interest in the sport to where they can appreciate and take care of an expensive rod. To me $200 is an expensive rod.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Look at Cabelas 3 forks rods. Nice and will leave you $ for other stuff. In fact, you can get a rod, reel, line, backing and leader for $85. I recently picked a 3 wt. combo up, and was pleasantly surprised with how well it casts. I've heard good things from people on the heavier weights as well.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread