+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV materials

Default UV materials

I've been looking at all the UV material on the market lately - thread, dubbing, wire, etc., and wondered if anybody has an inkling what these look like underwater - they are so glaringly glowing under a light that I can't imagine what the fish would do if that is what they do underwater.
    Last edited by herefishy; 04-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Factor in to that the fact that several studies are showing fish see even farther into the UV range than we do, so those colors will be even brighter to them. The advantage I see would be situations where light levels are low. Cloudy days, stained water, or depth would be examples where UV would allow fish to see the fly a little better and/or from farther away.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

There is a difference between UV Reflectance and fluorescence.
    Humans cannot see UV light. Birds and fish can. It is thought to look like a light blue to those critters that can see it.
    UV light is thought to be extra-important to fish because it penetrates water to the deepest depths.
    Reds and oranges, by comparison, fade to shades of gray only a few feet below the surface, while UV light
    continues to maintain its color to great depth (however it does look to those critters that can see it).

Fluorescence is a different thing. When enough UV light contacts a fluorescent surface (fluorescent paints, for instance)
    a chemical reaction takes place. New photons are created, that reflect back toward the original UV light source.
    Those new photons are typically vibrating at a frequency humans can see.

So, we cannot see reflected UV light. But fish can. And fish react to it (or so goes the theory) because it penetrates to
    the deepest depths. We can see fluorescence. And so can the fish.

When fly tying materials advertise themselves as "UV Materials" they seldom tell you if they are claiming to be
    UV Reflective or Fluorescent. Their claims could be baloney. You need a 300 dollar UV light meter to really tell.

So, do you think the reflectance/fluorescence attracts them, rather than repel them? Or just tickle their curiosity? They can't look like anything natural, can they? Think maybe it acts like beads?

I've been tying with a few UV materials lately and the patterns that I've earthier added some UV to or subbed out a UV material for all together, seem to have more takes on them then the original. I've heard this from a few other friends as well. If anything this "new" (because its been around a while) material could just be another trigger to induce the fish to strike. Some of the dubbing like the Hareline Black and Brown look like purple?? but they seem really effective.

When I was over at the Owyhee for Skwalas last month I tied a few up with the UV and some with the natural. Even though I didn't see a real Skwala flying the fish creamed the UV pattern but left the natural alone. And for nymphs I've been tying this UV purple and brown stone for Bull Trout and they can't seem to say no. I can't wait to give it a go on the Deschutes this weekend with a few other patterns I've incorporated UV into to give more testing in different water situations.

The more triggers the more likely you will catch fish, but not to say that just thread wrapped on a hook won't work either. I would know cuz back when I was a kid that worked well. Just adding more things to the thread wraps now I guess.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    So, do you think the reflectance/fluorescence attracts them, rather than repel them? Or just tickle their curiosity? They can't look like anything natural, can they? Think maybe it acts like beads?
    Good questions.
    I have been told night crawlers are fluorescent, and that good'ol boy night crawler hunters love to use battery-operated UV flashlights at night while worm hunting. I have no idea if that is true just yet, or maybe just a hill billy legend. I heard that claim in February, here in Montana, when the ground was still frozen 5' deep. Better believe I'll find out this summer. One way or another. That would blow the doors of the "this isn't natural" argument. Parrots and Parrakeetes (sapelling) often have fluorescent cheeks. Males probably. That much addresses but does not answer the "is it natural" part of your question.

As to "how do fish react......does it repel or attract?" part of your question, there is a definitive answer: yes. They both work.
    West Coast salmon and steelhead guys have been using blue lures and fluorescent lures more or less forever. And not because it doesn't work.
    Edge Bright nymphs are mojo trout flies. Others will say more as time goes by. But bright flies do work. UV reflective, fluorescent or otherwise.
    Bright flies seem to be extra-effective in the winter and cold early season. How about later into the summer? We'll see.

For a book on UV and trout sight check out this link http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php. Reed was at our local TU chapter meeting a year ago and did a great job of presenting the material. Some of the folks bought the book and thought it useful on this topic.
    I have only skimmed the book and can't comment more, but if you're looking for the "Book" on this topic, this is it.
    Mike

I highly recommend Reed Curry's book also."The New Scientific Angler"

+ Reply to Thread