+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have taken the plunge!! Into a Kayak!

Marco,

In response to your questions about the pedals; they can be removed in about 10 seconds. There are two slots that pins on either side of the pedals fit into. Then you simply, rotate a locking device that locks the pins in place. The pedal mechanism can be taken out and/or replaced while you're in the kayak. As far as shallow draft, placing the pedals in oposing positions (one all the way forward and the other towards the rear) causes the pedals to lay almost flat against the bottom of the boat. I've eased over submerged logs and shallow areas of no more than 6 inches of water with no problems.

Jim Smith

[This message has been edited by James Smith (edited 19 March 2006).]

Bill,
    That's great!
    BTW, if you EVER think about seling that Float Cat, PLEASE let me know?!? I sold my Wood River to Jack Hise as my knees pay too dearlythe day after "kick" tubing all day. Three friends have or had the Float Cat with oars & I am SOLD!
    Enjoy that Hobie Outback...I have heard those are a fishin' machine!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

J.C.,

You're going to have to start a kayak fishing forum on this board. It's getting big.

Don

[This message has been edited by Ct Don (edited 19 March 2006).]

I saw a really good talk by JonS of Kayak Fishing Stuff at North Jersey TU last week. And I went by the Kayak Fishing Stuff booth at the Saltwater show in Somerset, NJ this weekend. I think seeking out advice from them is a really good idea. Also, their forum is frequented by some very helpful and knowledgeable characters. So I second the idea of checking out [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/:4fdd8]http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/[/url:4fdd8]

Maybe kfs would like to be a sponsor JonS is a great guy to do bisiness with and they can ship for 49.00 using a business addy. I am pleased with my Hobie Quest Fisherman from them.

Great site for info I agree

The geezer

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hey there Bill and James,
    Thanks to you both for the details. Based on all the features, I have an idea that I just found THE yak for me. Looks sturdy enough to handle some tough waters ( non rapid). Snake river, here I come.

Thanks
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 19 March 2006).]

Mike,

I'll admit that I had thoughts of that....But with Two sons coming along in age...A nephew pestering me to have me take him along...15 YO and no waders or money for them...that cats got alot of work ahead of it...also the above mentioned Father in-law who keeps asking of where and what kinds of fishing I get into...I keep telling him Bass...but I think he does not believe me !!!...LOL...The.... you "Only" Fish with a Fly rod is getting old....and I need to prove that Fly fishing is'nt just a trout thing...These retired Military guys seem set in their ways...and I really don't think judging from what my wife says that I am allowed..she really wants me to take her dad fishing..and I won't sit on a bank...and thus far...I don't think from talking with him.
    That hes the wading type..He had a heart attack at 35...My present age...and the FC is very low impact..may be quite theraputic for him as well..not that he's not in great shape..Him and his wife were down a few weeks ago..and in the 4 months since we've been back down here .
    He's lost 40 Lbs and I almost did not recognize him at first...He seemed to have an unending amount of energy!!!
    Ok well I've rambled long enough!!!..LOL...Thanks all for all the comments...I'll post after I get out on the water with the new boat...as if you'd be able to shut me up!!!
    Mine also has the stripping apron with pockets...so it'd be cheaper for you to check out.
    Books and Hooks
    110 Maple Ave
    Girard,OH 44420
    Phone 1-330-545-1906
    Email: dmay194936@aol.com

Did not have a link to any web site but a google might turn something up...If they are also a rental shop they might have a few discounted cats...although it does not shave off all that much...as the 75's go...

I have a'lil over $1000.00 in mine...

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 19 March 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Marco,

Forgot to mention...that there is also provided a bungee with a snap located so that you can hook to the pedal toward the rear and that will hold the fins in the up position for extended pieriods or when beaching the boat for take out...small detail..but just shows all the thought to the Lil details that were put into these boats....Just add a PFD of your liking!!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I've been using a kayak for several years now. It lets me get to spots on the rivers around here that wade fishermen can't access. Many of the trout rivers around here are tailwaters below large dams. As such the river level can rise rapidly from a gentle flow to a life threatening torrent. If you're not paying close attention to the water, it can rise quickly and trap you on islands or worse you can get caught in areas of the river with no retreat. By kayaking to productive areas and then getting out and wade fishing I no longer run the risk of being stranded on the wrong side of the river or worse. Sometimes I fly fish from the kayak - at times I can sneak up on fish more stealthly than by wading. I also love fishing float trips down the area rivers. I feel more religious sorounded by natures beauty than I ever have in church. But now I'm digressing. You should really enjoy your new kayak and I'm sure you'll find it increases your fishing posibilities.

Hey Bill,
    And to take further advantage of your helpful replies. Are the pedalling devices powerful enough to hold in a current. I realize that a large portion of that would be MY ability to pedal but anyway........

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

+ Reply to Thread