+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time out for 'gills this year

Default First time out for 'gills this year

Yesterday was gorgeous, but fishing wasn't fast as we haven't had any stable weather. I have "mirror" St Croix 2 pc 8' pre IPC Legend Ultras...1 is a 3wt & 1 a 4wt. Both are great wind rods, which was needed yesterday as wind was high. I had the 3wt rigged with #12 foam spider & the 4wt with my favorite #12 yellow woolly worm. I must have fished almost 2 hours with nary a bite when I decided to put an indicator over the woolly worm. The hits were so light that I could barely detect them WITH the indicator (1/2" Thingamabobber). I did manage 5 & here's pics of the smallest (8") & the largest (9"). Both were real fat & both were safely released to fight another day.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike,

Beautiful bluegills! I know they gave a good pull of your string! I can tell from the drab colors on them that they were in cold water and deep, but, spring/summer is on its way and you will have a blast!

Thanks for sharing your day......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Nice. Whenever I eat some fish, bluegills are my favorites. I'll have to admit that I've never caught them on a fly rod--only through the ice. I have to give it a try.
    Bruce

Wow, NICE bluegills, Mike!
    I've been using the 1/2" Thingamabobbers a fair bit this year, and they are SENSITIVE! Those were indeed VERY light-biters!
    Glad you got some good fish.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

nighthawk Guest

Very nice Mike! Glad to see you got out. Amy says nice fish and I agree! I put the rods and cameras in the car yesterday, took off for the lake, stopped to mail a package to you, stopped to get my hair cut, then finally made it to the lake. Opened the trunk, put on my Downs Chest Box, broke out my 9ft 5/6 wt and then realized I had left the the bag with all of my reels in it at home. D-U-H!

So I took my camera for a walk.

Glad you got out on the water. You deserve to have some fun.

Love it Mikey *S* So nice to hear the 1st of the year reports, gives the rest of us a little hope!
    Hugs,
    LF

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Wow, NICE bluegills, Mike!
    I've been using the 1/2" Thingamabobbers a fair bit this year, and they are SENSITIVE! Those were indeed VERY light-biters!
    Glad you got some good fish.
    Dave,
    I had given up on indicators as they seemed to cast poorly, not stay afloat, etc. Then along came Thingamabobbers. They cast well, float high & are very effective. After using one Sunday, I am convinced I have missed a lot of light biting gills in the past. It will be interesting this year, but I'm not betting against my nailing that 12" pure 'gill this year.
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Let's all have a fine year!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Very nice! I'm ready to start chasing 'gills myself and your pics just lit a fire under me.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread