+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have taken the plunge!! Into a Kayak!

Default I have taken the plunge!! Into a Kayak!

I took a drive to Blue Mtn Outfitters this morning and I even made a list of boats I wanted to look at while there...When the sales lady asked if she could be of help...I went straight to the core reason I was there...To "SEE" the Hobie Mirage Outback Demo model that they had listed as a discount on their site...

We went right to it..I had checked it out many times on line, I was amazed when she ran through all that comes with this boat..It comes fully rigged..Rudder,Cooler,a tackle box(Which has compartment's large enough to carry extra Fly Reels in it) or tubed rods on the paddle holder's and the reels for them in the box or the fanny pack on the seat back...?
    The wheeled cart for even comes with this model...anchor system as well..I did not expect this...was very glad of it....but did not expect it..It was a demo and discounted for this reason...I had to buy it....Just had to be done!! "New" Never in the water.

She expressed that she felt that all these things should not be included with the boat...Of course..think of what it would cost and what they'd make selling you all these things seporately....50% of which I'd for go in that situation...

I can not wait for a bit warmer weather to get this thing out on some water.....Prolly won't either
    Now when the Father in-law comes down from NY...He can use my float Cat and we can do some real Bass fishing on the lake over the hill..Maybe I can even get a fly rod in his hands!!!!...He has one....So I know there is some interest there....I just gotta bring it out!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

You bet it has the pedal system..!!...and He actually seems to like me...and I seen the video on the hobie site...If that guy can tow a yak backwards with 2 guys in it paddleing for all their worth...I think any long distances will and can be taken care of in pretty much the same manner...lol

but he'd better not try rowing aginst me while i'm helping him out !!!...LOL
    I also take it you've never been on a Float Cat....as they too with the rowing system get around quite well in their own right....
    I can't say I have anything bad to say of that rig either...Great boat....It's why I went with another Hobie product!!!..and kept the FC Too!!!

I can always take him to Blue Mtn. Outfitters for one of his own....Hummm hope they get a few more in...every one I seen with the mirage drive had a sold sign resting neatly on it....even the Quest without it was already sold...

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 18 March 2006).]

Bill - Anxious to hear your report after a couple of trips. That looks like the perfect solo stillwater boat.

Congratulations, Bill! Welcome to paddlers anonymous. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you make use of those pedals out there on the lake.

Two pieces of advice, worth maybe a bit more than what you pay for them.

1. If you snag your fly on some vegetation (who me?) remember that the movement of the boat can put tension on that line really really fast and do some serious damage to a rod tip. So lose all drag, let out a ton of line, and THEN maneuver around to retrieve the fly. Or, usually better, just point the rod at the snag and pull back. Don't ask me how I know this!

2. Never ever ever leave the shore without some kind of a PFD and a whistle (pealess are best). Attach the whistle to the PFD with a short cord. Long enough to reach your mouth, short enough not to hang you if you get snagged on something.

And take a look at the fishing board at [url=http://www.paddling.net:0137f]www.paddling.net[/url:0137f]

Paddle on!
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Bill,

You're going to LOVE it. I've had mine for about 18 months and it's the best personal fishing craft I've ever used by a long shot. Very stable, easy to peddle and you can cover a lot of water very quickly if you need to. It's also super quiet. I actually eased up close enough to touch a turtle and a sleeping Malard duck just to see if I could. Great fishing boat that will add to your fishing success and pleasure.

Congratulations and good luck.

Jim Smith

[This message has been edited by James Smith (edited 19 March 2006).]

Bill,

Congratulations! I'm still doing research on a kayak for myself. However, I've done enough to know that the Hobie has a great fishing package. And, although I've never been in one, I know that the Hobie peddle system works well and can propel you with a lot of speed.

I'm probably not going to go for the peddle system, but I've been studying the Hobie Quest Fisherman very closely. It has a great fishing package also. I may get the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, though. One of my priorities is to be able to take it out in the salt.

I hope this isn't being too forward , or come across as prying, by would you mind pm'ing, or emailing me how much you paid? I've been very interested in getting a hobie with the mirage drive system, but have no dealers near my home that I know of and I'd like to find out how much to realistically expect to pay for it. Thanks in advance for anything you might do for me regarding this issue

Hey Bill.
    Congrats on your purchase. Now you're "Capt.Bill"?
    I too am shoping for a kayak. It's kinda like choosing ice cream from 31 flavors. Ther's just too much out there.I googled the Hobie product page and the info there did NOT mention some specifics that would be very important to me. The pedaling systems,is it an option or can it be removed?
    I fish mostly rivers with somettmes very shallow spots and a pedaling system would/could be a bi problem. The specs I like MOST are the length and weight. Seems like it can be handled by one easily.I would appreciate info on my pedals concern. Thanks in advance.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Been fishing in the Outback for 2 years now. Can't be beat.
    Do a search here and you'll find a couple of other guys w/ em too.
    Also hit [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com:655ee]www.kayakfishingstuff.com[/url:655ee] , they have a Hobie forum. More saltwater fishing orientated but you'll pick up a lot of good info on safe kayak fishing.
    Good Luck with it!

bwagner,
    I have no prob's telling you what I paid...With the 200 off for it being a demo....and with the added tie down straps to get it home...with tax added $1,542.05
    the MSRP also what it normally sold for at this shop was $1,669.00...
    One other note,This is the ONLY boat in the Hobie line to include the cart that fits into the molded in holes on the hull of the boat...it comes fully loaded...even with the speedometer... The sales lady really did not seem happy with Hobies decision's of offering so much gear with the package...The only thing not with the boat is the PFD..of which I already have a wearable inflatable sterns I bought from Cabela's when I purchased my Float Cat...

Marco,
    With the twist of the locking dials the drive can be lifted out and the blank....came with this model...and I'd think it would come with all of them can be placed in it for regular Paddeling use...or you can just leave the socket open till you get back into water deep enough for the Drive fins to clear..Also if in shallow water but still deep enough that you know the folded fins will clear....just push and hold a pedal forward...and the fins will fold tight up aginst the hull till you pass over the obstruction...say a boulder sticking up off bottom....

We did discuss the durability of the drive....and when it first came out...quite a while back...they did have a few probs....but probs are rare these days she said..it is well thought out....and well made..she did have one guy come in who hit a rock directly on while pedaling and Paddleing "you can do both at the same time" down river....and at a good pace...who tore the teeth off one of the sprocket's.

Said Hobie was very suprised of this..It could of cost him 30 bucks but Hobie sent him a new one for free..and considered it a warrenty fix..although the guy said it was completely his own fault..They seem to really be a great company...I've never had any reason with my Float Cat to ever find out...and I've Abused it for 6-7 years now...It just can't be damaged!!!...I love it's durability!! Seen three of them at the shop and all were priced under MSRP..

My advise to anyone would be to find the nearest rental shop and check their bargin pages if they have a web site...
    I had a list of around thirty boats made up...all of them much lower in price.....and the only boat I even considered was the outback after seeing all that I did not later have to scrounge around to find....the cart I also foundout is only $60.00 dollars when purchased alone....I was thinking if I had to buy it...it'd be 99.95 like anything else these days...That is/was a piece I'd have HAD to add no matter what...I wish the float cat came with such an option...

Do a search of dealers on the Hobie site..thats how I found my local...50 min. drive...lol...dealer.

Heres the site of my local dealer...I have no clue if they deliver boats by mail order....???? don't think so..but it'll give an idea of what type of shops to look for if nothing else... [url=http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/:fe08c]http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/[/url:fe08c]

Oh yes...The wife just loves her 3200 dollar mini van.....Not sure if this is counts for anything or not...but we both seem very happy!!!...

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 19 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread