+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I miss being new

Default I miss being new

JC's article on being new brought back some fond memories of when I first started to fly fish. Some of the most memorable moments were from my first couple of years of fly fishing. The one main thing they all have in common is that I figured things out on my own. When I failed it just made me think more and I liked that. I liked the questions I didn't have the answers to and finding the answers on my own was what I learned to love about fly fishing. So if your new don't be discouraged by any of your questions or lack of success, enjoy it.

In a way all of us in some way are still new. As long as you never stop learning and dont just settle we will continue to advance. That is the awesome part of what JC and LF always bring to us. New patterns to learn.,new rod tapers and the list goes on.

Yes I'm still learning all the time and that's why I love it. If I thought I knew it all I wouldn't like it as much. When I come back from a trip where I caught alot of fish and seemed to figure everything out I sit and watch TV but when I get skunked or have questions I'll go tie flies for hours trying to come up with the solution.

trust me it aint that great

"Perhaps all you can say is that there are great lapses or discrepancies in time; that said and the simple if inexplicable fact that some people have fishing in their hearts"
    Russell Chatham "Dark Waters, Fishing Mystiques and Mistakes" (198

If any of us stay away from fly fishing, even for a short time, when we return we are all beginners again ,only aware of the short cuts that save time and energy. There will always be something new, something to lure us to the fly shop, the webpage or the stream to try make sure we havn't forgot...how to enjoy what we love most.

There is an old oriental saying, "Do not worry about moving ahead slowly, worry about standing still!"

How true in life, that as long as you are learning new knowledge, you are living. The minute you stop learning, is when you start dying. That is how is seems to me anyway!

When I feel like I am in a rut, I pick myself up, and start looking for something I don't know. Life is a long road trip, where I am going, I cannot tell. I don't know where I am going, having no map, or idea of the destination. Yet along the way I come to crossroads, with no signs, to show me the way. Which road should I choose, the well traveled, or the one least traveled?

The choice is your's what you do with your time. ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread