+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First steelhead

Default First steelhead

Just got home from the Clearwater in Idaho.
    Great weekend even if I didn't land any fish. nobody I talked to was having much luck but I had three good hookups on Saturday.and one was over 20 pounds.I had him to the net and my leader popped.closest i've come to crying in a long time.
    I learned a lot this weekend.
    # one being wear your wading shoes those rocks leave big bruises on your backside if you don't.
    # two bring about 5 times the flies you think you'll need.
    # three you can tye a really cool egg sucking leach with egg yarn,sewing thread from the gas station and super glue.refer back to #2
    # 4 the clearwater is cold. Refer back to #1
    and # 5 my shoulder is so screwed up that my fingers go numb when I'm casting and high sticking all day that I might have to give A Spey rod a try.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

The experience says it all and glad it was a great weekend. White wooly buggers with a bit of flash should be in the arsenal also. What lenght and wt. rod where you using ?

The geezer

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I was using a 9' 10wt.Xi2 I am really impressed with the power of the rod.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

gonfishn,

Glad to see you picked up on some of life's many lessons so quickly, and all in one trip.

Dave's suggestion of the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, Idaho for flies is a good one. The owner, Mike, is also a good guy to talk to about all things spey, though I think he is also starting to carry single handed rods also.

REE

One thing I know about Steelhead and Clearwater is timing is every thing. My Brother went up 2 weeks ago and landed one after 4 days up there and the day he laft Becker showed up and landed 35 in four days. Where it the time machine when you need it?!

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

+ Reply to Thread