+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turkey quills

Question Turkey quills

Has anyone found a reliable way to keep turkey wing quill sections in tact while being tied on? e.g. Muddler Minnows. I realize that it is considered cheating but I've even tried pretreating the sections with lacquer or Sally Hansen's. Please don't suggest using a "pinch wrap" as I always do that. I know such bonded sections will seperate in use but at least I can get the fly tied.

You can treat them with artist's fixative, thinned flexament or other flexible adhesive. Just make it a light coat. It's easy to get over zealous and turn them into cardboard.

Ray,

I spray the whole feather with a light coat of spray on clear 'Plastidip' (got it at Ace Hardware)....works like a combination of Krylon fixatif and thinned Flexament...you get the extra flexibility, but you can spray it on...

Don't use too much.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Ray,

Looks like you got all the answer you need. I'm adding this link for a muddler pattern (Bloody Muddler) that I have tied and used for over 20yrs. I first read about this pattern in Scientific Angler's Fly Fishing Quarterly (Summer 1990) - Developed by LeRoy Hyatt of Lewiston, Idaho. (article written by Hyatt) . To be honest, I have not tied a standard Muddler since! I used this pattern extensively in The U.P. of Mich. with very exciting results. Like most all the Muddler variations, this one can be fished anywhere in the water column. Good tying and fishing!!

http://globalflyfisher.com/flymeiste...rn=gallery.php

Best regards, Dave S.

Has anyone tried ladies hairspray? It seems like it should do the job and then disolve and wash off once the fly gets in the water?

I really like the looks of Fishdog54's variation. It's certainly on my list for this year.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 04-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.

yes ! I HAVE USED CHEEP HAIR SPRAY FOR TURKEY AND DUCK AND ANY OTHER QUILLS YOU NEED TO STAY MARRIED UNTIL YOU GET THEM TIED ON. IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

A backing of tear by hand packing tape.

Blog Entries

What ever happened to good technique and better materials?

There is no need for glue or spray or any such stuff on the feathers...

First mistake I see folks making: the used portion of the barbs should be at least 2/3 of the total barb. The base of the barbs is where the srongest attachments are and the ones most responsible for keeping the flues together.

Second common mistake: the underwing is primarily there to support the wing. Tie it centered on top and use a soft wrap around just the underwing as the absolute farthest wrap to the rear. That leaves the underwing standing as tall as possible and gives the wing support.

Third common mistake: Tie the wings on one at a time and use three soft loops and pull up fairly smartly when cinching.
    art

Hi Ray,

I hope things are going well. I also use hair spray, and started using it after reading about it in one of my tying books. It helps a great deal, and as was pointed out above, washes out in the fishing.

Regards,

Gandolf

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    What ever happened to good technique and better materials?

There is no need for glue or spray or any such stuff on the feathers...

First mistake I see folks making: the used portion of the barbs should be at least 2/3 of the total barb. The base of the barbs is where the srongest attachments are and the ones most responsible for keeping the flues together.

Second common mistake: the underwing is primarily there to support the wing. Tie it centered on top and use a soft wrap around just the underwing as the absolute farthest wrap to the rear. That leaves the underwing standing as tall as possible and gives the wing support.

Third common mistake: Tie the wings on one at a time and use three soft loops and pull up fairly smartly when cinching.
    art
    I wholeheartedly agree with Hap. I was taught and learned to do tie in the feather correctly so not as to have it split. I let the fish do that.
    Bruce

+ Reply to Thread